Slow websites after activating parental control for a device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-31 22:14:28 - last edited 2021-08-31 22:21:42
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.3 Build 20210203 Rel. 68223

I just purchased Deco M5 and it's working superb. I am getting better range in every corner of my house. 

As soon as I create a profile in Parental Controls section and add a device in the profile, certain websites become too slow on that device. Remember that I just created the profile, not activated it. So internet should be working normally on that device.

For example, when I added my phone Redmi Note 7 Pro in a Parental Control profile, I was able to open youtube.com and search videos on my phone, but videos were not streaming. I was able to open fast.com, but it was not giving me internet speed. I was able to login to webex app, but was not able to join any meeting. If I wait for long time (4-5 minutes) on fast.com or youtube.com, things start working. Usually, such delay is observed if domain name is not resolved. So, it seems like profiles in Parental Controls are causing some DNS issue to the devices added in those profiles. 

I tried creating parental control profiles for my other phone Samsung Galaxy M31s and my LG TV unit. Same issue was observed on those devices as well. At the same time, everything was working perfectly on my office laptop, as the loptop was not added in any of the parental control profiles.

With this issue, I am not able to use the Parental Control feature of Deco M5. 

Please suggest a workaround.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Slow websites after activating parental control for a device
2021-09-01 06:16:17

@RockDWorld 

Hi, when you said that” just created the profile, not activated it”, did you mean after creating the rules, you have enabled “Internet Paused”?

Please also refer to this link to change the DNS server on the Deco to be 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4.

Normally, When the Access Control, Parental control and QoS, these features are enabled, data packets would be forwarded to the CPU directly, not by Hardware NAT so that the data transfer might not be as good as before.

Options
Re:Slow websites after activating parental control for a device
2021-09-01 07:10:03

@TP-Link Thanks for the quick response! After creating a profile, I did not enable “Internet Paused”. Still I was getting the issue.

Anyway, I think I have figured out the issue. I was selecting Filter Level as "Child" in the profile. I think Child profile by default blocks certain categories of internet traffic, even if "Internet Paused" is not enabled. I modified Filter Level to "Adult". Everything started working fine now. Now, I just enable "Internet Paused" for a particular profile to block internet completely on that device. This is exactly what I wanted.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 763

Replies: 2

Related Articles