Connection between extender and modem router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-04 01:35:20 - last edited 2021-09-06 02:33:29
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.14.8 Build 140826 Rel.63335n

I have a TP-Link Archer VR1600V that I connect the extender too, with no problem connecting to the internet.

At the moment I only have one device connected through the extender as it does not have it's own

wifi . I connect it via the cable input/output.

The device is a PVR, and it connects to the internet via this.

The problem I have is that it does not connect very well with other streaming devices, on the network.

If I look at the dashboard of the modem, it can see the IP address of all the other devices, including the extender, but it cannot see the

address of the PVR.

The other wired, and wireless devices, on the network (including another identical PVR) show up clearly.

I can also see the problem PVR on a third party network app.

If I look at the dashboard of the extender I also cannot see the PVR connected to it.

Ive looked at all the screen options, including LAN, and DCHP clients, but cannot discover the PVR.

is there a possibility that the extender is not connected to the modem and/or PVR correctly?

Where are the attached devices supposed to show up, on the extender?

Where are the devices attached to the extender supposed to show up on the modem.

Thank you for any assistance.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Connection between extender and modem router
2021-09-04 06:56:57 - last edited 2021-09-06 02:33:29

@Chrilynn I wonder if it he issue is related to the extender connecting through the modem 2.4 ghz setting, rather than the 5 ghz setting.

When I did an address reservation the scan only showed the other PVR, which is directly wired to the modem.

The scan did not show the PVR wired to the extender.

I had to manually set the MAC and IP addresses for this..

How do I check this and/or how do I connect the extender to the modem 5ghz setting, rather than 2.4 ghz?

At some point you must be able to see what's connected to the extender, as well as the modem.

I would assume you should be able to check what's connected, through the extender, on the parent modem.

Options
2021-09-06 02:43:03 - last edited 2021-09-06 03:07:01

@Chrilynn  Hello, 

Device should get Internet  not matter RE connects to modem via 2.4Ghz/ 5Ghz ,

You could unplug your PVR and wire a PC to 850RE , when using the same Ethernet cable, could PC get Internet from 850RE? 

When 850RE <Ethernet>PVR, does PVR obtain an IP address, please set PVR on obtaining IP address automatically or set up a static IP & gateway for PVR and see it work or not. It is also recommended to contact PVR support and see if any special configuration need to be done when PVR connects to a extender? 

Options
2021-09-07 01:05:30

@Solla-topee thank you for your interest and advice.

I have the extender operational, and accessing the internet through the modem.

What I can't do, though, is see what devices are connected to the extender.

I can see all the devices ( including the extender) that are connected directly to the modem ( wired, and wireless)

but I cannot see what devices are connected to the extender, either on the extender online dashboard, or modem online dashboard.

I know the device connected to the extender by wire is connected to the internet, as I have tested it.

Why does it not show up as a connected device, or what screen should it show up on?

Options
2021-09-08 07:22:18 - last edited 2021-09-08 07:27:10

@Chrilynn  Hello, 

PVR need to get an IP and gateway from router first, and later you could set up the address reservation for it. 

Note if device is on static IP, it will not show up on router's DHCP client list. 

If you owns TL-WA850RE,V1, please check if other device laptop/ phones shows up on the Client list of range extender? 

Beside as most range extenders uses proxy mode, it will create a virtual MAC address for the device,  on router's client list, you could not see the real Mac, but the virtual Mac created by range extender, here is a related FAQ: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/927/

Options
2021-09-08 07:33:16

@Chrilynn Yes, it is that model

Firmware Version:

3.14.8 Build 140826 Rel.63335n 

Hardware Version:

WA850RE v1.2 00000000

I only recently put the reservation on the PVR, prior to that it still didn't show up on either modem,( as a dynamic address) or extender dashboards..

I also only have the PVR going through the extender, all my other devices go through the main modem/ router, either wired, or WiFi .

They can be seen on the router dashboard.

Options
2021-09-08 07:37:58

@Chrilynn  I also used the IP address ( automatically assigned by the router) as the static reservation.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 728

Replies: 6

Related Articles