Advice Please - which replacement router (UK RMA)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-13 08:35:22 - last edited 2021-09-13 08:46:21
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 3.0

Hi,

Hoping there are some knowledgeable router experts here for some advice.

My C4000 has failed halfway through the warranty period. The RMA process has said there are none of these in stock so offered a c5400 for 50% top-up cost which I don't have. Their solution is to look through the product list and choose a router of equivalent price to the original c4000.

I'm boggled to why I'm having to choose a random replacement but what would be an equivalent router?

I've been without my router now for 2 weeks so need to get it replaced. Any expert advice on routers appreciated.

thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:Advice Please - which replacement router (UK RMA)
2021-09-14 06:39:15

@WarrenC 

I guess you may need to compare the price and specifications from some online stores (such as Amazon or Ebuyer) if there is no equivalent in stock. Comparing the specs of the Archer C5400X and C4000, you will find it is more powerful than the C4000, so I guess you will need to pay for the spread:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/compare/?typeId=9&productIds=44038%2C37668

It's strongly suggested to discuss the replacement or warranty policy with the local department, as we cannot suggest more on the replacement or return concern.

Options
2021-09-17 09:20:56

@Kevin_Z Thanks for the reply. I am still discussing this with the UK RMA office.

It seems my warranty claim has 2 options at the moment:

- accept my unit to be replaced with a lower spec device (tri-band device swapped to a dual-band)

- pay significantly more to get similar features/functionality to what I originally paid for

The above does not align to the global/country warranty policy but after 17 days of email exchanges I thought I would reach out to the forum for advice.

At this point I would say that frustration is kicking in around a warranty process that is failing to meet its documented policy. I may end up accepting the lower spec product simply to eBay it for recovery of costs and select an alternative brand.

You live and learn

Options
2021-09-18 10:07:03

@WarrenC 

I honestly cannot help more with the local RMA or warranty, as this will be handled by the local office. However, I tried to understand this better and I found that it seems the UK local RMA office is willing to provide you an Archer AX73 as a replacement for the C4000, which sounds great as I can think of. AX73 is quite new and the latest Wi-Fi 6 router that TP-Link announced in late 2020, it has many new and highlighted features such as Onemesh and WPA3.

While we also understand that you may still prefer the equivalent model of the C4000, and the fact is that C4000 is no longer available in the local market or office, that is the reason why we offer the AX73 for you as a replacement, which we hope you could understand.

We TP-Link are always willing and do the best as we can to make our customers satisfied, we hope you can accept the replacement and discuss the warranty procedure in detail with the technicians. 

Options
2021-09-18 14:03:38

@Kevin_Z Thanks for the response and I do appreciate it.

My problem with the AX73 is that it is dual-band and not tri-band which is a feature that I am using. It also has slower 2.4G performance than the C4000 which is used by my security cameras. 

I do think the AX73 sounds like a great router but it is not the functionality that I purchased. Unfortunately, I will take a step back on functionality I use which is not what I expect from the warranty process. It either means I will need to make changes to my network or use to compensate, and possibly purchase new equipment sooner. This effectively voids the purpose of having a warranty from yourselves as it would not be fit for purpose.

Your RMA staff have been great with their replies but I'm feeling that my requirements for buying this router are not being heard. Hopefully, this will be resolved soon but I would be cautious of using/relying your warranty process in the future.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 542

Replies: 4