Success: TP-Link cellular router into load balancer (and then WiFi)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-13 18:48:51 - last edited 2023-07-13 03:30:41
Model: TL-MR100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

There have been a few threads on these forums with people frustrated by the fact that TP-Link doesn't officially support briding mode on its range of cellular routers (see for example here). I was annoyed too. 

In one of the threads here, @Kevin_Z suggested a workaround: if you want to use the cellular router only as a bridge (ie, as a cellular modem) pull down the WiFi, take down the DHCP server, and put its IP addres within the range of the main router.

I wanted to create this thread just to say that: I followed Kevin's recommendations and it worked!

I now have the following setup (all actually using TP-Link gear). It fulfills the objective I was going for when starting these home network upgrades which was a dual ISP / cellular connection that uses the cellular line only for failover / as backup. 

Because this is tough to explain using words, here's the diagram:

My gear Is:

- TP-Link TL MR 100 

- ISP router

Both going into WAN ports on the TL-Link R470T+ load balancing.

From there I actually have one more TP-Link product (an Archer router running in AP mode) to bring out WiFi connectivity. As wel as a switch for all the wired gear on the network.

Sharing this in case it helps anybody also trying to figure this out. 

Regards, Daniel Rosehill
Options
3 Reply
Re:Success: TP-Link cellular router into load balancer (and then WiFi)
2021-09-24 07:43:39 - last edited 2023-07-13 03:30:30

@danielrosehill 

Thank you very much for sharing the detailed configuration guide to make the cellular router into bridge mode. I would encourage you re-post this as a story in the below link, that would be helpful for other community users to get benefit from:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/edit?moduleId=768

Options
2021-09-29 19:39:41 - last edited 2023-07-13 03:30:30

@Kevin_Z 

Once I have this issue resolved I will happily post a story.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/277400

Until then, I can't relaly recommend the method. Because it's not yet working as intended (in a nutshell, the load balancer keeps using the backup connection even when the primary is live!)

Regards, Daniel Rosehill
Options
2021-09-30 01:40:34 - last edited 2023-07-13 03:30:30

@danielrosehill 

We will check it soon.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 918

Replies: 3