Extending Home WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Extending Home WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Extending Home WiFi
Extending Home WiFi
2021-09-14 14:31:06 - last edited 2021-09-27 07:36:57

Hi

I am very much a novice and require a little more understanding as to what I am actual doing and more importantly is it feasible.

My initial plan is to extend my Wi Fi signal at home using the 3 TP Link Deco M4Rs that I purchased to communicate via Wi Fi. However, eventually I would like to wire these together using the House mains (all connected on the same Mains Circuit see attached Diagram).

My questions are:

• what mains adaptors would you recommend?
  • if I set the Deco M4Rs up initially to communicate using Wi Fi, can I then re-configure them to run thru the House Mains using the recommended Mains Adaptors?
  • Can you set up the the M4Rs via the Desktop Computer or does it have to be with a smart phone or Tablet?
  • Finally, if you can re-configure the M4Rs to run thru Mains Adaptors I believe you have to them set up as something different is that true?

Apologies for the long winded set of questions as you can see I am quite a beginner (particularly if you look at my attached Diagram).

Many thanks

Philip

File:
TP Link Wi Fi Range Extension.jpgDownload
Options
2 Reply
Re:Extending Home WiFi
2021-09-24 03:53:35 - last edited 2021-09-27 07:36:57

@ReverseSpin 

Hi, I see that you already have the powerline adapters in the house and if the powerline adapters are doing well, maybe you could have a look at Deco P9(no longer needs additional powerline adapters), not M4.

But if you already bought M4, it would also be great to create Ethernet backhaul via powerline adapters.

And there is some information for your questions:

1. What mains adaptors would you recommend?—Deco M4+TL-PA8010p Kit Or TL-PA8030P kit

2. If I set the Deco M4Rs up initially to communicate using Wi-Fi, can I then re-configure them to run thru the House Mains using the recommended Mains Adaptors?

There is no need to reconfigure the Deco M4 and once they are connected via Ethernet cables, the Ethernet backhaul will take over wireless backhaul automatically.

3. Can you set up the M4Rs via the Desktop Computer or does it have to be with a smartphone or Tablet?

No, I am afraid it needs to be via Deco APP on a smartphone or Tablet.

Finally, if you can re-configure the M4Rs to run thru Mains Adaptors I believe you have to them set up as something different is that true?

It is quite the same as Q2 and no additional settings are required for Ethernet backhaul.

Options
Re:Extending Home WiFi
2021-09-24 11:59:11
Hi Many thanks for that much appreciated, info very helpful. I'm glad I found you guys on the Network Community as I posed the same question to the TP-Link support line some time back and they didn't really understand my question and me being a Novice didn't help lol. But the reply was just what I needed so many thanks again.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 382

Replies: 2

Related Articles