Archer VR400 - QoS missing?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-17 13:48:51 - last edited 2021-09-18 01:54:55
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v0070.0 Build 160613 Rel.40404n

Hello, I've set up today my Archer VR400, and I'd like to use the QoS feature, but it seems to be missing?

I don't have any firmware update, and the manual seems to be outdated.

The only remotely close feature I have is "Bandwitch Control", which lets me select only ip range and not device name / mac address.

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer VR400 - QoS missing?
2021-09-17 15:04:05 - last edited 2021-09-18 13:19:28

@msacco 

VR400 v1 FW version is from 2016 and if you see the following  interface:

then you have only Bandwidth Control, but not QoS.

Here's your user guide.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-09-17 15:10:06 - last edited 2021-09-18 01:54:55

@terziyski Does setting priority to Bandwitch Control acts the same as QoS?

Thanks.

Options
2021-09-17 15:20:41 - last edited 2021-09-18 01:54:55

@msacco 

It's similar, just follow Chapter 5 in your user guide to do the configuration.

You can refer this guide as well.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-09-17 21:17:20 - last edited 2021-09-18 01:54:55

@terziyski Thanks, but I'm still not entirely sure after reading that.

I basically want my connection to be stable while gaming, what would be the best way to achieve that with Bandwitch Control?

I'll obviously add a rule for my IP with the highest priority and maximum bandwidth, but do I need to configure something else?

Ideally, I wouldn't want to limit other connections always for no actual reason, but if I have no choice, I'll do that.

Do I need only 1 rule for myself being the highest priority, do I also need another rule for everyone else on the network to be low priority, or do I must limit everyone elses downstream/upstream?

Thanks.

Options
2021-09-18 07:27:49

@msacco 

I would start by configuring 1 rule only for your PC with higher priority to see how that works for you and the others.

If you're not satisfied with the result you can experiment with additional rules for the other PCs and tweak them accordingly.

Just pay attention to the notes in red from the guide I posted:

"Note: when you configure the single IP address, the client with this IP address will get independent given bandwidth. When you configure the IP address range, all computers in the range will share the given bandwidth."

and for the rule priority description:

" Priority - Priority of Bandwidth Control rules. ‘1’ stands for the highest priority while ‘8’ stands for the lowest priority. The total Upstream/ Downstream Bandwidth is first allocated to guarantee all the Min Rate of Bandwidth Control rules. If there is any bandwidth left, it is first allocated to the rule with the highest priority, then to the rule with the second highest priority, and so on. "

Options
2021-09-18 09:31:57

@terziyski Thanks again.

Do you have any idea how the priority works for the Bandwidth Control?

As you might know, gaming doesn't require much bandwidth at all, but it requires stability, so the router might think that I don't need much bandwidth and give it all to other users, while in fact bandwidth is not what I care about here, but the latency as a result of the bandwidth allocated.

Do you know how it works in that regard?

Options
2021-09-18 13:23:22

@msacco 

I'm not sure that the Bandwidth Control would affect your network latency.

You have to test that in your particular case/setup to see which settings are appropriate for you.

Like I posted earlier just experiment with these parameters to find your sweetspot.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1009

Replies: 7