Does the Deco M9 Plus can select the signal source or force signal source to use Ethernet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Does the Deco M9 Plus can select the signal source or force signal source to use Ethernet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-17 16:57:01
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210126 Rel. 62679

Router <--> Switch <--> Switch <--> Deco Master (Signal source can use Ethernet)

|                   \---- <--> Deco Slave #1 (Signal source can use Ethernet)

\------------------- <--> Deco Slave #2  (Signal source cannot use Ethernet, Always connect to Deco Master via WiFi 2.4G, it will cause the internet speed very slow)

Any method or idea to resolve that?

Eric
Options
9 Reply
Re:Does the Deco M9 Plus can select the signal source or force signal source to use Ethernet?
2021-09-17 17:07:57

@EricBoy 

Do you run your Deco mesh in Router mode or in Access Point mode? This is where to check it in Deco app:

Options
Re:Does the Deco M9 Plus can select the signal source or force signal source to use Ethernet?
2021-09-18 01:35:53

@EricBoy 

Hi, the Access point would be the best choice.

It would also be better if you could set up Deco slave#2 as the main Deco.

How to Setup the Satellite Deco to be the Main Deco?

Options
2021-09-18 04:58:41

@Alexandre. I am running in Access Point mode. 

The Deco in Joey room is unable to change the signal source.

All others room, the signal source is correct and use Ethernet.

Eric
Options
2021-09-18 05:03:25

@TP-Link 

The Deco Slave #2 = Joey room Deco.

I have connected the Ethernet cable to Joey's room's Deco. But the signal source is kept to use WiFi mesh to Eric's room's Deco. 

If I follow your instruction to change Joey's room's Deco to main unit, the signal source of Deco Slave #1 will become to use WiFi mesh, instead of Ethernet. The connection speed of  Deco Slave #1 will become poor.

Any idea to resolve that?

Eric
Options
2021-09-18 11:49:18 - last edited 2021-09-18 11:50:47

@EricBoy 

In Access Point mode, your setup should be working. I have similar setup to yours and it works just fine:

Router <----------------> Switch <--> Deco Master 

|                                     \---- <--> Deco Slave #1 

\------------------- <--> Deco Slave #2  

All are connected through Ethernet.

The only difference is you have one more switch, but I am sure if I plug extra switch I have to replicate exactly your setup, my Deco mesh will still work as it should.

TP-Link recommended changing which Deco will be Main Deco. It is "nice to have" recommendation, but it will not fix the problem. If you tried it, you figured it won't. So, my suggestion would be to either restore your Deco configuration as it were originally with Main Deco, or redraw your setup how it is now and post it so that we know what exactly you currently have. 

I'll copy your original setup again, for reference and put numbers at switches to distinguish between then:

Router <--> Switch #1 <--> Switch #2 <--> Deco Master (Signal source can use Ethernet)

|                          \---- <--> Deco Slave #1 (Signal source can use Ethernet)

\------------------- <--> Deco Slave #2  (Signal source cannot use Ethernet)

For the problem you have, the usual suspects are Ethernet wiring from Deco Slave #2 to the Switch #1, incompatible with Deco mesh switch or both of them, and also there is a possibility your router is incompatible with Deco mesh Ethernet backhaul.

Is it possible one or both of your switches are from D-Link? See this FAQ article for helpful hints and especially check its Q&A section: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

If this article does not help with your situation, you'll need to run series of tests on your home network to narrow down the culprit. If you need help with test steps and order of tests, please ask in your reply and I'll provide you with detailed instructions.

Options
2021-09-18 12:46:52

@Alexandre. 

Here is the hardware specification of each network devices for your reference. I have tried to set Deco Slave #2 to become Deco master. Same result, the Deco Slave #1 will become to use WiFi as signal source and cannot use Ethernet. 

If the new firmware can let me to select or set the signal source, I think the problem is resolved.  yes

Equipment List

Router = QNAP QHora-301w WiFi 6 10G router (Location: Ground floor)

Switch #1 = TP-Link SG3210 8 Port gigabit network switch (Location: Ground floor)

Switch #2 = Hikvision 5Port PoE switch (Location: 1/F)

Deco Master = Deco M9 Plus (Location: 1/F)

Deco Slave #1 = Deco M9 Plus (Location: 1/F)

Deco Slave #2 = Deco M9 Plus (Location: 2/F) 

Original

Router <-  Cat 5e cable -> Switch #1 <- Cat 5e cable  -> Switch #2 <- Cat 5e cable -> Deco Master (Signal source can use Ethernet)

|                          \---- <- Cat 5e cable  -> Deco Slave #1 (Signal source can use Ethernet)

\------------------- <- Cat 5e cable -> Deco Slave #2  (Signal source cannot use Ethernet) sad

Tried - But same result 

Router <-  Cat 5e cable -> Switch #1 <- Cat 5e cable  -> Switch #2 <- Cat 5e cable -> Deco Slave #2 (Signal source cannot use Ethernet) sad

|                          \---- <- Cat 5e cable  -> Deco Slave #1 (Signal source can use Ethernet)

\------------------- <- Cat 5e cable -> Deco Master (Signal source can use Ethernet)

Due to the location constrict, I am unable apply the same connection

Router <----------------> Switch <--> Deco Master 

|                                     \---- <--> Deco Slave #1 

\------------------- <--> Deco Slave #2  

Eric
Options
2021-09-18 12:57:46

@EricBoy 

> If the new firmware can let me to select or set the signal source, I think the problem is resolved.

It will not. Deco on its own prefers Ethernet connection and only switches to WiFi backhaul if it can't use Ethernet. Even if you are able to tell Deco use Ethernet, it won't be able to, because there is an underlying problem.

You either have Switch #2 incompatible with Deco mesh Ethernet backhaul, or worse - your ISP router is not compatible.

If you would like, I can provide you with series of tests to figure which one is that. If it is switch, you'll be able to replace it by compatible model. Hopefully it is not your ISP router.

If you want me assist you with list of tests, please also provide ISP router brand name, model number and how many Ethernet ports it has.

Options
2021-09-18 15:05:54

@Alexandre. 

Could you please provide the compatiblities model list of switch to me?

Eric
Options
2021-09-19 14:32:57 - last edited 2021-09-19 14:33:23

@EricBoy 

From the TP-Link FAQ article: "The Deco Ethernet backhaul feature is based on the standard IEEE 1905.1 protocol. If you're not sure which switch to use, TP-Link switches may be a good choice."

Sorry, that's all information I have. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1344

Replies: 9