Archer C5400 regularly losing speed over wired connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-19 02:06:55
Model: Archer C5400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20190411 rel.52981(5553)

I've had this wireless router for a couple of years now and haven't had any issues, but I recently upgraded my internet service from 200mbit down/10mbit up to 940/38 (Spectrum internet). The current setup is cable modem -> Archer C5400 -> 2.5GbE unmanaged switch that connects to a number of other machines and another 2.5GbE unmanaged switch which goes to a few other machines and a printer. Nearly all of the time, only 1 PC and 1 printer in sleep mode is actually powered on on the network. Theres a small handful of wifi devices too but most remain powered off, maybe 1 or 2 run netflix. No consoles/games.

The problem is the downstream speed eventually dwindles to ~200-300mbps instead of the advertised 940mbps. By eventually, it may take a day to a couple of days for it to suddenly lose speed. I can initiate a remote reboot of the router periodically and it restores the speed back to 940. I do not share the wifi password, have a reasonably secure password, and have even disabled wifi and direct connected only 1 strong computer to the C5400 router, results remain the same. I've tried rebooting the cable modem and sometimes it does not fix the speed, but rebooting the archer c5400 always fixes it.

There are no crazy settings enabled and no port forwarding. Just the typical 2.4ghz and 2x 5ghz wireless bands enabled, and DMZ set to the strong computer's IP address (since I'm too lazy to deal with some port forwarding)

What can I do to make sure it doesn't drop speed in the future without resorting to regular reboots on the router?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer C5400 regularly losing speed over wired connection
2021-09-22 07:49:02

@ssateneth 

Hi, the firmware of the C5400 seems quite old, try to install the latest firmware on the C5400, then reset it to factory defaults, reconfigure it from scratch, don't modify the Advanced settings like QoS, then confirm again.

Here is the download link of the latest firmware: https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-c5400/#Firmware.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Archer C5400 regularly losing speed over wired connection
2021-09-22 07:50:50

@Kevin_Z I didnt realize the firmware was so old. I was using the router's update check and it always came back as having the latest and no update was available. I will try the new one you linked later today. Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 532

Replies: 2

Related Articles