Already have 1 extender. Bought another but can’t connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-19 20:10:19
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version:

I already have a TP TL-WA850RE which worked fine for the upstairs. Then I bought another one to help with the wi-fi in the back of the house, but I can’t seem to be able to connect it. If I do, it replaces my original one. I want this to work along side the other one as an alternative. How do I do this?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Already have 1 extender. Bought another but can’t connect
2021-09-22 09:18:52 - last edited 2021-09-22 09:21:06

@cpauls77  Hello, 

May I know how do you connect these 2 extenders, via Tether APP/ web page, do both extenders connect to router? 

When use 2 range extenders, we recommended connecting both range extenders directly to the router, not extender wirelessly connects to another extender ( for the performance and stability of the 2nd extender)  

Recommended Topology : RE1 )))(( Router )))(( RE2

You could unplug the first extender when set up the second extender, after the set-up process, plug both extender and see if both REs show up and work. 

Options
2021-09-22 13:01:50

@Solla-topee 

I think I used the app to set the first extender up. And so tried to do the same, but the second one just replaced the first one. I was expecting there to be 2 on my account, but only one. So are you saying I should unplug the first one, then connect the second one and do a search for it. They will need to be named differently. Do I need a laptop for this and to connect it via Ethernet cable to the router?

Options
2021-09-23 05:45:27 - last edited 2021-09-23 05:50:15

@cpauls77 You could set up both extenders in Tether app and that does not require a laptop.

• Set up 1st extender via Tether app
  • Then set up 2nd extender via Tether APP 
  • Connect mobile phone to router's Wi-Fi or extender's Wi-Fi and refresh Tether app 

After range extender connects to router successfully,  it will get an IP address from router and will be in the local network. 

When mobile phone  & two Wi-Fi extenders are in the same local network of your router, both extenders will show up in Tether app. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 389

Replies: 3