Port forwarding does not work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-03-11 00:41:32
Region : Italy

Model : TD-W8961ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version : 3.0.0 Build 120720 Rel.09287

ISP : alice

A couple of weeks ago I have bought a TD-W8961ND in replacement of my old modem/router (of another brand, to upgrade from Wireless G to N).
I tried to replicate in the new router something similar to my old setup, so I programmed Virtual Servers (under the NAT menu) with the following rules:

in an attempt to:
- grant access from "outside" Internet to my web server
- have a Wakeup-On-LAN from "outside" Internet
..etc..
without success.
Please note that:
- I have successfully setup a DDNS server to reach my modem router from outside
- as for WOL, I defined my subnet mask as 255.255.255.128
- I have not set any other rule, nor in NAT, nor in routing or other
- I tried also with firewall disabled
- I do my testing by means of a smartphone with wireless disabled and Internet connection via mobile service provider
- Both the above mentioned functions were working with my old modem/router (and still work on LAN), and I have not changed other things (PC setup etc)
Please, please, HELP !
Options
16 Reply
Re:Port forwarding does not work
2013-03-11 01:09:11
In local network WoL is working?
Options
2013-03-11 02:07:31
Yes! In LAN both WoL and web server are working now... (and were working also from outside with my old modem/router)
Options
2013-03-11 02:14:23
as for WOL, I defined my subnet mask as 255.255.255.128

In this configuration 192.168.1.127 is a broadcasting address in your network. You have to make forwarding on computer IP.
Options
2013-03-11 02:28:19
I know this is a broadcasting address (for this purpose I have choosen the 255.255.255.128 subnet mask).
Forwarding on specific IP could work only if the PC was already ON (but is not working for me: note that even the web server does not work, with correct IP forwarded and statically defined in the PC software, and choosen outside the DHCP area). For WoL I think is necessary to resort to broadcast, otherwise the router may refuse to forward the packet on LAN.
I do not think my problems are specific to WoL.

As for web server I have tried also with PC configured to get the IP from the router's DHCP server (configured to statically assign the choosen IP to the PC's MAC address)
Options
2013-03-11 02:52:30
For WoL very important is ARP Table where your mac address must be type in. Normally this mac address is ejected from this list after a few minutes after off your computer.
I can't understand what is wrong with your web server please explain again.
Options
2013-03-11 03:13:13
OK, for web server:
On my LAN I have a PC, connected by WIRED LAN to the modem/router, which run a web server (Apache). I switch on the PC manually, wait for completion of system start-up and then test the web server.
I test it on wired or wireless LAN with another PC and wireless with my smartphone (with wireless enabled): it works.
I test it from the "outside internet" (my smartphone with wireless disabled and internet access from my mobile provider): it does NOT work.
---
As for WoL.
The same PC on which I have the web server is now initially OFF. The situation is similar: it works from inside, does not work from outside.
---
Therefore I think that the router does not do port forwarding. I repeat: with my old modem everything used to work fine (and still works, if I replace it back).
---
By the way, I thank you for your attention
Options
2013-03-11 03:23:16
web serwer:
192.168.1.100 is local address your computer with web server?

WoL:
What was your old router? I said that TP-link has problem with ARP TableI I know telnet solution - LINK
Options
2013-03-11 04:01:53
web server: yes, 192.168.1.100 is the local address.

My old router was a Dlink 2640R

I will study the ARP table/telnet solution, but IMHO, the ARP table has relevance for all the LAN trafic, therefore, regardless of the origin of the IP packets, the behavior should be the same, shouldn't it? But in fact I have different behavior on LAN and WAN.
Options
2013-03-11 04:06:55
web server: yes, 192.168.1.100 is the local address.

If you like give me your public Ip address on Private box (PW) I can check your web access on my computer.

I will study the ARP table/telnet solution, but IMHO, the ARP table has relevance for all the LAN trafic, therefore, regardless of the origin of the IP packets, the behavior should be the same, shouldn't it? But in fact I have different behavior on LAN and WAN.

It was my last idea to solve your problem ;)
Options
2013-03-11 04:10:07
How do I access your private box?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1213

Replies: 16

Related Articles