TD-W8970 freezing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TD-W8970 freezing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TD-W8970 freezing
TD-W8970 freezing
2013-03-24 21:05:55
Region : Italy

Model : TD-W8970

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 0.6.0 1.2 v000c.0 Build 130201 Rel.54921n

ISP : Infostrada

Hi all!
My TD-W8970 freezes randomly, sometimes several times a day, sometimes less, but now the problem it's more frequent and I suppose it could be generated by some internal component that could have a abnormal behaviour.
Anyway, this happens in different situations, either using all the functionalities, or beeing only on and in idle state. Last time was fwe minutes ago, when all the system were shutted down and only router was on.
This is driving me crazy.
Anybody has experienced my same problems?

I've already informed tech support about this issue.

Thank you to all.
Bye
Options
55 Reply
Re:TD-W8970 freezing
2013-06-29 19:27:26
Hello, same problem here.

I'm using an USB port of the router for a NAS-like storage with a torrent computer accessing it 24/7. Could this be the reason for the constant freezing?. I'm going to test if freezing disappears when there isn't any USB storage attached. If this was the problem, when will a firmware upgrade to solve this incident will be released?

Thank you
Options
2013-07-01 03:05:58
I have the same problem, with the same router.
I'm using it with a 3g modem and sometimes it randomly freezes and I have to reboot it manually since the control panel is unreachable.
Options
2013-07-01 17:13:30

adepoyu wrote

Hello, same problem here.

I'm using an USB port of the router for a NAS-like storage with a torrent computer accessing it 24/7. Could this be the reason for the constant freezing?. I'm going to test if freezing disappears when there isn't any USB storage attached. If this was the problem, when will a firmware upgrade to solve this incident will be released?

Thank you

Hi, how is it going?
Does it still freeze after you remove the USB storage?
Options
2013-07-01 17:17:30

Lucian47 wrote

I have the same problem, with the same router.
I'm using it with a 3g modem and sometimes it randomly freezes and I have to reboot it manually since the control panel is unreachable.

Hi.
How many devices are connected to your TD-W8970?
Are you running some special applications, such as online gaming, online chatting, or downloading some files, when the modem freezes?
Options
2013-07-01 18:44:39
Hi,

Well it seems that the problem persist.

I have removed storage from the router and also disabled firewall, IPv6, uPnP, etc. and any other features that could be overloading processing in the router, even Wi-Fi. Now it only functions as a DSL router-modem, with LAN DHCP server enabled. It still freezes....

I have no freezing from the cheap router I got from the ISP provider, so I'm very worried I may have a faulty hardware or even worse, that this piece of hardware simply doesn't deliver.

I will try to contact TP-Link as soon as possible and see if they can provide any feedback or solution because I will be returning this router otherwise. It's very sad to spend some extra money in a supposedly decent router only to get poor performance.
Options
2013-07-01 23:07:29

stella wrote

Hi.
How many devices are connected to your TD-W8970?
Are you running some special applications, such as online gaming, online chatting, or downloading some files, when the modem freezes?

Usually one, sometimes two. There doesn't seem to be a connection between the freezes and what I'm doing at the moment. Sometimes it happens when the PCs connected to the router are idle.
Options
2013-07-02 10:08:38

adepoyu wrote

Hi,

Well it seems that the problem persist.

I have removed storage from the router and also disabled firewall, IPv6, uPnP, etc. and any other features that could be overloading processing in the router, even Wi-Fi. Now it only functions as a DSL router-modem, with LAN DHCP server enabled. It still freezes....

I have no freezing from the cheap router I got from the ISP provider, so I'm very worried I may have a faulty hardware or even worse, that this piece of hardware simply doesn't deliver.

I will try to contact TP-Link as soon as possible and see if they can provide any feedback or solution because I will be returning this router otherwise. It's very sad to spend some extra money in a supposedly decent router only to get poor performance.

Yep, that is a lot of trouble if the modem always freezes by itself.
What are the devices connected to the LAN ports of TD-W8970 by Ethernet cables?
Maybe it is due to some of your LAN devices. :confused: You can test them by disconnecting some of your LAN devices and then check if the modem will freeze.
Options
2013-07-02 16:06:25

stella wrote

Yep, that is a lot of trouble if the modem always freezes by itself.
What are the devices connected to the LAN ports of TD-W8970 by Ethernet cables?
Maybe it is due to some of your LAN devices. :confused: You can test them by disconnecting some of your LAN devices and then check if the modem will freeze.

Hi Stella,

I have the same devices connected as the cheap router provided by the ISP has without any freezing, if you know what I mean ;-)

I will leave the investigations and troubleshooting for TP-Link engineers, they are paid for that. I only want to pay for a product that works as advertised, and so I'm returning this router and search somewhere else.

Thank you
Options
2013-07-02 17:11:36
Freeze issue is not just specific to 8970, look around in these forums all TPLink routers seems to be suffering from this.
Options
2013-07-15 20:14:47
I have the same problem.

I wonder if it has to do with the temperature. Router gets a bit hot. But in my case it seems that i only get the freezes after using some form of P2P.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6957

Replies: 55

Related Articles