TD-W8970 freezing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TD-W8970 freezing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
55 Reply
Re:TD-W8970 freezing
2014-06-18 04:56:30
Hi,

I downloaded the firmware from the standard tp-link download site. Then probably they removed it later without any communication.

Anyway, this firmware DON'T solve the freeze issue.
I'm very disappointed of the tp-link support!!

Alberto
Options
2014-06-18 11:50:42
Region : Bolivia

Model : TD-W8970

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : TD-W8970_V1_140613

ISP : COMTECO ltda

Ok, support first contact via e-mail.
I give them my info of the problem, and details about my network.

Today I try to disconect all my devices, and conect only my NAS and one smart phone in network.
Form 09:00 to 16:00 I can acces my network via WAN and my NO-IP acount (outside the network), can check my WEBUI and comunicate with my NAS.
Back to home and network to 19:00 and I can't connect to my wifi from another smart phone. Chek with my laptop and can't connect to wifi.
Check the smart phone that stay all day conected in network and it has internet and can surf on web!!!
Also my MR3420 have internet access and I can conect Internet via this device!!
Unfortunly I can't access to WEBUI of w8970 :mad:
Try to stop NAS, chek the network and aparently all work OK, less the WEBUI from modem.

Later, about an hour and half (near 21:00) the modem freeze all the conections, No Internet, no WEBUI, no comunication with other PC, even no comunication via NO-IP account.Try also a TELNET connection and no luck.

Cr*p, I really don't think is a over heating problem, something in firmware induce to freeze the network, first deniying new Wi-Fi conections and WEBUI, and later Freezing all comunications inside the network.

I really hope that SUPPORT can solve this issue.

Best regards.
Options
2014-06-22 07:47:32
Region : Bolivia

Firmware Version : TD-W8970_V1_140613

ISP : COMTECO ltda

Updated the lastest firmware, TD-W8970_V1_140613, reset form back panel, setup all the setings manually, and again after 24hrs more or less the modem freeze again with no aparently reason.
I have the conclusion that this hapend for a failure of the WiFi program, is the software in did, and when the WiFi crash the modem sudently freeze.

Please suport of TP-LINK, check the software of this model, this happend regulary with other users that have this model too.

Best regards.
(sorry for my bad english)
Options
2014-06-22 18:23:45
Options
2014-07-06 00:33:25
Updated the firmware 140613: The router still freezing
Reset to factory default and restored all parameters except ipv6 and now seems NOT freezing anymore
I will try to enable IPV6 next month to doublecheck....
Options
2014-07-08 23:32:24
Well I'm not sure if was in this forum, but I read the answer of this freezing issues (original article for the w8960, but work for my w8980).

I return my w8970 to the shop, they offeert me to pay a little more for the W8980 to try a "best" modem (I don't really use the 5Ghz bandwith so for me is almost the same), but I agree to acced to this arrange to try the chip that comes with w8980 (diferent that come from w8970 model), because I think will be my best option.

Again I was freezing issues, but I notice that was only when my NAS was conected through LAN1 port, and running some service like Torrent or Serviio. I try to use a torrent client only in my laptop through WiFi, and again modem freeze. So a litle more reserch and voilà, I read someting interesting:

The orginal article recomend that you have to create a BRIDGE conection in:
NETWORK -> WAN SETTINGS (ADSL WAN Interface)
tip: I use the same VPN and VCI form my ISP.

And in this BRIDGE connection put all devices that have heavy traffic (like my NAS and torrent in LAN1, or WiFi if you use torrent over there).
NETWORK -> Interface Grouping -> ADD

After this you can also try to:
NETWORK -> WAN SETTINGS -> WAN Service Setup ADVANCE -> Echo request interval: 0
(this depends of your ISP, for me its ok to put this in 0)

and disable SRA and Bit Swap in:
NETWORK -> DSL Settings
(again for me its ok to disable these)

And voilà, I had all network without any freeze. My torrent client inside NAS work great and all my devices have internet without an issue.

I think this may work for W8970 also (work for my w8980 and of course for w8960).

Thanks to original article for this tip.

Best regards.
Options
2014-09-22 04:04:14
Sadly, I tried this workaround and my TD-W8970 seemed to work OK for a week but today is again experiencing the freezing issues, not sure what to do with this, seems like a total waste of money :(

jabberwocky wrote

Well I'm not sure if was in this forum, but I read the answer of this freezing issues (original article for the w8960, but work for my w8980).

I return my w8970 to the shop, they offeert me to pay a little more for the W8980 to try a "best" modem (I don't really use the 5Ghz bandwith so for me is almost the same), but I agree to acced to this arrange to try the chip that comes with w8980 (diferent that come from w8970 model), because I think will be my best option.

Again I was freezing issues, but I notice that was only when my NAS was conected through LAN1 port, and running some service like Torrent or Serviio. I try to use a torrent client only in my laptop through WiFi, and again modem freeze. So a litle more reserch and voilà, I read someting interesting:

The orginal article recomend that you have to create a BRIDGE conection in:
NETWORK -> WAN SETTINGS (ADSL WAN Interface)
tip: I use the same VPN and VCI form my ISP.

And in this BRIDGE connection put all devices that have heavy traffic (like my NAS and torrent in LAN1, or WiFi if you use torrent over there).
NETWORK -> Interface Grouping -> ADD

After this you can also try to:
NETWORK -> WAN SETTINGS -> WAN Service Setup ADVANCE -> Echo request interval: 0
(this depends of your ISP, for me its ok to put this in 0)

and disable SRA and Bit Swap in:
NETWORK -> DSL Settings
(again for me its ok to disable these)

And voilà, I had all network without any freeze. My torrent client inside NAS work great and all my devices have internet without an issue.

I think this may work for W8970 also (work for my w8980 and of course for w8960).

Thanks to original article for this tip.

Best regards.
Options
2014-09-22 21:14:02
Well, I observed that the loss of connection to the gateway, thus losing Internet connectivity, happens shortly after I wake my iPhone from being locked and with the screens off. I searched a bit and I am not alone in suffering similar issues:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1786669

What the heck can we do about this? :(
Options
Td8970 v1 frrezing
2015-01-11 15:53:58
Any news concerning this issue? Is it a defective device to be replaced or it is the normal behaviour of this modem?

Thanks

pietro667 wrote

Region : Italy

Firmware Version : 0.6.0 1.2 v000c.0 Build 130201 Rel.54921n

ISP : Infostrada

Hi all!
My TD-W8970 freezes randomly, sometimes several times a day, sometimes less, but now the problem it's more frequent and I suppose it could be generated by some internal component that could have a abnormal behaviour.
Anyway, this happens in different situations, either using all the functionalities, or beeing only on and in idle state. Last time was fwe minutes ago, when all the system were shutted down and only router was on.
This is driving me crazy.
Anybody has experienced my same problems?

I've already informed tech support about this issue.

Thank you to all.
Bye
Options
Freezing
2015-02-18 22:09:06
Region : ITALY
Firmware version:0.6.0 2.13 v000c.0 Build 140919 Rel.52310n
Hardware version:TD-W8970 v1 00000000
Using USB Modem HUAWEY E-372 (Telecom Italia Mobile)

Hi,

for very strange reason my W8970 when i leave in idle state for about 1 or 2 hours internet not work, wireless not work and configuration page not work... simply freezed. At this point i have to re-start W8970 and in 1 minute all work perfectly. The previous router i have (W8968) had the same exact problem... but solved using latest firmware... now W8968 works perfectly, 24h.... Unfortunately now i found the same problem on my actualy W8970... but... exist update to solve this VERY VERY annoying problem ?

Many thanks for any help.

Gimmy.
Options
Related Articles