TD-W8970 freezing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TD-W8970 freezing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
55 Reply
Re:TD-W8970 freezing
2013-07-17 17:47:23
Hi, If there are no wireless devices connected to the router, will it get freezing?
Options
2013-07-19 01:58:08

kendle wrote

Hi, If there are no wireless devices connected to the router, will it get freezing?

It happened with and without wifi clients.

I've done a little mod to the router and it's been more than 3 days without a hang-up, even using p2p. You can see the little mod i did in this post of a spanish DSL forum: http://www.adslzone.net/postp2453696.html#2453696

I plan to change the cpu heatsink with a bigger (but flat) one in the future, to improve the unit's cooling.
Options
2013-08-03 19:50:54
My 8970 freezes when I use a bittorrent client (Vuze). If not, it works well.
It only freezes when start the bittorrent client, within a minute or two. No matter how many times you reboot the router, it will always freeze several times while bittorrent client is active.
I stop Vuze and I have no problems anymore.

Tested this about 10 times (with different router configurations/reset to zero) to see if I was correct. 10 times freezed when using bittorrent.
No freezes for over 2 months without bittorrent.
Options
2013-08-05 16:47:05
If you just run the bittorrent, but don't download anything, dose the freeze still happen? If you use some other tools for P2P downloading, does this problem still happen?

Manoloovello wrote

My 8970 freezes when I use a bittorrent client (Vuze). If not, it works well.
It only freezes when start the bittorrent client, within a minute or two. No matter how many times you reboot the router, it will always freeze several times while bittorrent client is active.
I stop Vuze and I have no problems anymore.

Tested this about 10 times (with different router configurations/reset to zero) to see if I was correct. 10 times freezed when using bittorrent.
No freezes for over 2 months without bittorrent.
Options
2013-08-10 08:13:06

kendle wrote

If you just run the bittorrent, but don't download anything, dose the freeze still happen? If you use some other tools for P2P downloading, does this problem still happen?

Only happen when downloading/uploading things. Not happen when idle.
It happen with my Vuze bittorrent from my computer and with the Bittorrent client of my Synology Diskstation NAS (each one alone or both at the same time, no matter)
Options
working solution for freezing
2013-10-15 23:26:19

pietro667 wrote

Region : Italy

Model : TD-W8970

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 0.6.0 1.2 v000c.0 Build 130201 Rel.54921n

ISP : Infostrada

Hi all!
My TD-W8970 freezes randomly, sometimes several times a day, sometimes less, but now the problem it's more frequent and I suppose it could be generated by some internal component that could have a abnormal behaviour.
Anyway, this happens in different situations, either using all the functionalities, or beeing only on and in idle state. Last time was fwe minutes ago, when all the system were shutted down and only router was on.
This is driving me crazy.
Anybody has experienced my same problems?

I've already informed tech support about this issue.

Thank you to all.
Bye

Try the following: remove the cover and apply 5 small heatsinks to the following areas of your 8970 (pictures below). It's working perfectly, no freezing and no crashes. It is an overheating issue. Before my little modding I was unable to watch youtube without reset :) .

Options
2013-10-16 21:21:50

saleen1451 wrote

Try the following: remove the cover and apply 5 small heatsinks to the following areas of your 8970 (pictures below). It's working perfectly, no freezing and no crashes. It is an overheating issue. Before my little modding I was unable to watch youtube without reset :) .

Dear Saleen1451:

I have my router modded like yours since 2 months ago, as you can see in the pictures below, and the router is still crashing when has an overload of connections (bittorrent, emule, etc).
Sometimes the router crash at nights even on idle, without working on anything. It´s a Firmware problem. or the Lantiq chipset is a real real real crap.

I am very dissapointed with this router...

PD: The fan is a 6mm height ADDA AD0205LB-K50 5V 0.05A, connected to one unused router´s rear port usb. It´s quite noisy, not for use at night. but inaudible if your computer is near too.

Options
2013-10-17 00:16:08
I agree with you - we should unbox the router, plug in and forget about it. You've got active cooling now so there's no point in talking about overheating.
My Lantiq chipset was "glued" on top out of the box, like something have been spoiled on it. Maybe you're right.
I won't even mention the firmware, they have added the "logout" button last time I have upgraded. That is progress in 21th century :)
Options
2013-10-17 19:55:26
And the worst of it is that if you look at the forums, there are others users with different routers with the same problem as us, and no response from TP-Link, even a single "we are working on that" would be fine, but seems they are so busy working on "logout" buttons, and ipv6 for countries that does not have ipv6.

Dear TP-Link workers (knowing that you´ll never look at this thread): A working router is more important than a multi-featured router. Period.
Options
2013-10-18 10:53:11
hey,guys,since we have so many similar problems and complaints,why don't you send these information through e-mail to TP-LINK tech support? There is a "Contact Us" option on the top of the forum.......
I think this must attract them to attention this issue!
Good luck!!!!!!
Options
Related Articles