TD-W8970 - VPN Connection Issues - Drops Out After 24-36 Hours

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-04-15 16:32:38
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TD-W8970

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 0.6.0 1.2 v000c.0 Build 130201 Rel.54921n

ISP : O2

Hi All,
I have sent the following trouble ticket to TP Link Support hoping they can shine some light/fix a VPN issue I am experiencing with the TD-W8970 router.

Please see the text below.........
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Team,
I have 2 tunnels set up on my TP Link TD-W8970 and although both of these work for a a while, they both drop out after 24-36 hours for no apparent reason. The tunnels still show as "up" in the router, but I lose PING and connectivity to my remote systems. The only thing that seems to fix this is to reboot the router.

I have tried the tunnels with and without "DPD" (Dead Peer Detection) enabled and the results are the same.

I have 2 other friends who have the exact router with the same firmware (latest version), and they too have the same issue.

There is nothing in the logs showing any disconnection of the VPN, and as I have mentioned, the tunnel still shows as "up" on both ends. Its almost as if the service has stopped running, but I cannot check this.

Please could you advise what the issue may be regarding this router?

Kind regards.

Cheers
Mark
Options
12 Reply
Re:TD-W8970 - VPN Connection Issues - Drops Out After 24-36 Hours
2013-05-06 10:45:36
Did this ever get resolved? We have the exact same issue.
Options
2013-05-06 16:16:16
Hey i saw they released a new firmware for W8970 recently. http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TD-W8970&version=V1#tbl_j
New Firmware would sometimes save your time waiting for reply... Good luck~
Options
2013-05-08 23:04:09
Hi code9,
After upgrading to the latest, I can confirm that this has NOT resolved the issue. My VPN tunnels seem to be stable for a bit longer, but they still drop and I need to rest the router in order for the tunnels to re-establish the connections successfully.
I this I will be sending another ticket into support soon. Feel free to do the same. The way I figure it, the more tickets they get, the more focus they should have on a permanent fix.

Regards
Mark
Options
2013-05-09 10:50:24
We've applied the latest firmware as per TP-Link Support's suggestion but they openly admit the firmware doesn't address any VPN related issues.

Do these routers have a built-in restart timer that can be turned on? This might be a workaround for the interim.

Darryl
Options
2013-05-09 21:28:24
Hi All,
I have just sent this ticket into support. I would suggest you do the same to "increase the chances of resolution" for this issue :-)

I have 2 tunnels set up on my TP Link TD-W8970 and although both of these work for a while, they both drop out after 24-36 hours for no apparent reason. The tunnels still show as "up" in the router, but I lose PING and connectivity to my remote systems. The only thing that seems to fix this is to reboot the router.

I have tried the tunnels with and without "DPD" (Dead Peer Detection) enabled and the results are the same.
I have 2 other friends who have the exact router with the same firmware (latest version), and they too have the same issue.

Other users of the TD-W8970 also complain of the same issue with the VPN on the TP Link forum.

There is nothing in the logs showing any disconnection of the VPN, and as I have mentioned, the tunnel still shows as "up" on both ends. It’s almost as if the service has stopped running, but I cannot check this.

The latest firmware (TD-W8970_V1_130415) does not resolve this issue.

Please could you advise what the issue may be regarding this router?

Cheers
Mark
Options
2013-05-13 17:21:26
Hi All,
Quick update on this one. I had a reply from the support team, but unfortunately they did not offer a solution, so I have had to send another email. Please find my email sent to support on 13-05-2013 below........

Hi Helen,
Thanks you for your reply.
I do understand what you have explained, but this does not resolve my issue.
I am not alone with this issue. 2 of my colleagues who have just purchased this router have the very same issue, as well as some else in the UK who has posted this issue to the TP Link support forum.

To re-cap, as well as the PING failing after 24-36 hours, my traffic also fails. This means I cannot RDP onto my systems via any tunnel. It is almost as if the IPSec VPN service has stopped.
The 2 tunnels I have set-up are also going to different endpoint devices, with different WAN IP’s, so I know that this problem is coming from the TD-W8970.
I have looked into the router via Telnet, but there are no menu options that allow configuration of the VPN……only basic information around LAN, WAN, ADSL, IGMP etc.

From the IPSec VPN settings page, I do not see any other settings that I could change that would resolve this issue, and as the VPN connects perfectly after a reboot, I know that my settings are good.

We will all need a fix for this issue.

Please advise.

Regards
Mark
Options
2013-05-30 17:19:16
Hi All,
Just sent this email to TP Link support in the hope they can get the VPN issues resolved.
This is my last attempt. After this, the unit will need to be returned as it is not 100% fit for purpose at the moment.

Can you please provide an update for the VPN issue on the TD-W8970?
I have checked the support site, and I cannot see an new firmware available at the moment.

I have also spotted another potential issue. I have set up DDNS on the router, and although it does connect to my account with “no-ip.com”, the status will show as “disconnected” after some time.
When I log back in again, It reconnects and seems fine for a few hours, then disconnects again.

It’s the same sort of behaviour as the issue with the VPN.
It’s almost as if services for VPN and DDNS stop after a certain time period.

I really don’t want to return this router, but unless these issues are resolved soon, I will have no choice as it is affecting my ability to work.

Fingers crossed they resolve the issue and update the firmware!
Cheers

Mark
Options
2013-06-27 15:05:50
FYI we returned our units to our local supplier for credit. We could not afford to leave these units running in a Production environment and the customer was getting frustrated waiting whilst we attempted firmware upgrades etc. on behalf of TPLink Support. We replaced them with an alternate brand and they haven't missed a beat.
Options
Same problem here
2014-02-02 21:58:13
Please FIx this problem. It's like it never had vpn support right now. the connection drop after some hours, still say UP but no ping. the only way is to reboot router
Options
2014-11-14 00:15:54
Hello,

I have the same problem with a new TD-W8970. Any news concerning this issue would be really very useful.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1730

Replies: 12

Related Articles