Novice questions!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Novice questions!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:Novice questions!
2013-07-17 19:26:14
If something goes wrong, register in my forum I will help you...
Options
2013-07-27 23:34:00
Hey HiSpeed,

I read and re-read your excellent post - and failed miserably :( I think the TP-Link firmware may be different as I could not find any reference to DMZ and the other menu items were not per your instructions. You are probably just realizing how little I know about the internet and equipment interfacing! Also if I changed the local IP address, I lost connection to the modem router so could not make the other changes. I was not sure as to whether all my internet settings needed to be replicated on the modem router and whether your documentation was showing examples of your existing connection (encapsulation etc.). I am sure I am close to resolving this but have had to restore my existing setup (Just the Netgear modem router connected to ADSL). I would still like to put the TP-link modem router between the the incoming line and the Netgear but understand if you are unable to help further. Just one other question, if I used your Case#1, would a bridged connection via the TP-Link hold up the internet connection if I disconnected/rebooted the Netgear box? Bridging looked a lot easier so I will try if this is a viable solution.

Thanks
Options
2013-07-28 03:28:31
As soon as you change the class of the Netgear, that's normal to loose the connection, your PC should be on the same...
For example, if you set the local IP address of your Netgear 192.168.1.xxx your PC must be changed to 192.168.1.yyy to access it.
Keep in mind that your Netgear has 2 IP addresses, a local for your PC's and a wide for the TP-Link...

The case #1 is another choice requiring the encapsulation (PPPoE, id, password, etc.) into the Netgear...
Options
2013-07-28 03:33:03
Thanks - it's the connection to the TP-Lnk that I lost when changing the subnet from 1 to 0 but as I said in my previous, I couldn't even find the DMZ settings on the TP-Link. If I go for Case #1 will the connection stay up if the router is re-booted?
Options
2013-07-28 12:57:01
DMZ is into the forwarding menu.

Case #2 works fine, probably a parameter is wrong.
Tell me how do you set the WAN port of the Netgear?

In case #1, the TP-Link handles only the line synchronization so, if you reboot the Netgear, the Internet connection is lost until the id and pwd is accepted again by your ISP server...
Options
2013-07-28 18:41:20
I didn't get round to the Netgear as I wasn't sure whether I had understood the TP-Link instructions so decided not to bring everything down! I'll try again shortly. Can I assume that the WAN settings in your example are for your setup and that I need to enter all my own ISP details. And that the ISP details are also entered into the Netgear WAN set up. It just seemed strange to me to have these details entered into both boxes. Thanks again for your help, I'm learning!!
Options
2013-07-29 03:42:57
No, if you bridge your modem, it doesn't ask you name and password.
The PPPoE encapsulation must be done by the Netgear...
Options
Related Articles