International roaming with TL-MR3020 is a huge pain!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-05-13 15:37:04
Region : Germany

Model : TL-MR3020

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello all,

when visiting Switzerland and Italy with my German SIM card I noticed that roaming is not working very good with the TL-MR3020. The reason is that the internet provider needs to be set in the config, in my case to o2 Germany.

When I travel with this SIM card to another country, I roam into other networks.

As I cannot what provider is currently active (as o2 has contracts with almost every provider outside Germany) and even if I could see it I have to adjust the settings in the config if anything changes, the satisfaction effect on this trip was not very good.

Also I noticed that sometimes (only sometimes) the setting resetted itself to o2 Germany when unplugging the device, this added some extra negative satisfaction to everything.

In my understanding the router should have an auto detection for the currently active network and auto setup for the dialin parameters and everything else. Like every smartphone on the planet. Maybe you can also add a setting where you can enable or disable data roaming to save people money if they do not have a international data option booked.

Cheers,
Roi
Options
19 Reply
Re:International roaming with TL-MR3020 is a huge pain!
2013-05-18 00:38:52
Nobody seems to be interested? :-(
Options
2013-05-18 06:27:37
A very interesting observation of USB modems.

Your modem (plugged directly to lappy) would not roam either without APN adjustment?
Options
2013-05-20 04:53:03
Well, how can I optimize this? The problem begins with not knowing into what provider net the modem is roamed in when being outside my home area (country).
Options
2013-05-20 08:13:43
On second thoughts, international data roaming should work just like voice, as long as you have a data roaming agreement with your ISP?
Options
2013-05-20 17:12:10
I have. So it works perfectly, in my smartphone. It does not work as smoothly with the TP-Link router, see above. At the moment I have to guess the current service provider to set up the correct connect parameters on the config website of the router, and it also changes if reception is bad or if you move (e.g. when using the router in a car). Also annoying is that it often switches itself back to the home net setting, in my case o2 Germany.
Options
2013-05-22 05:13:02
I asked about ...

" Roaming will work with no additional client (router) settings if supported by the home and visited networks. It's all in the SIM. APN etc will be resolved by your home network, so it will be exactly the same whether you are roaming or not.

But the implementation is plain stupid. You end up sending all data traffic via your home network. Yes, really. So using a German SIM in Europe, accessing a server in Europe, will make the packets flow halfway around Europe and back. The latency is going to be sort of rotten.

This is yet another reason to get a local prepaid SIM when going abroad. It's not only going to save you lots of money. The service is going to be much better as well.

That's the theory."

However if your smartfone does data fine and the modem doesn't with the same SIM, then this problem is not unraveled.

Take it up with your ISP?

Cheers
Options
2013-06-01 01:29:47
I'm in Spain now for holiday and the 3020 is not doing what it should. No internet... At home, everything was fine. Here, nothing. It works with my smartphone and the first sim, but not with the Huawei E173 and the second sim.

Both sims are o2 Germany with international data. Btw, this is my best shot as my company pays. It also is as fast as a local sim.

The 3020 reports "identifying" or "unplugged", no matter if I set the modem to Germany / o2 Germany or Spain / MOVISTAR (the local provider I can get reception with my smartphone here). I also downloaded the bin file for the Huawei from the TP-Link website. And the 2013 firmware fir the 3020 as well and installed both. No change.

Huge disappointment... Can anybody help? What is it what I am doing wrong?
Options
2013-06-02 14:54:01
Hi, Roi.
Which country are you in now? In Germany?
Who is your Internet service provider?
When you plug the modem directly into the computer, can it connect to Internet?
Options
2013-06-03 17:18:55
I am in Spain right now, but I am from Germany. My provider is o2 Germany with international data.

Yes, the stick and the sim works perfectly when using it with my netbook.
Options
2013-06-04 13:46:23
Hi. You may update the binfile for a try.
Here is the download link: http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/3g/

And make sure that the parameters, such as APN, Dial No. etc, are set correctly on the router.
Hope this could help you. :)
File:
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1808

Replies: 19

Related Articles