Intermittent data transmission failure between clients and TPLink Deco M9 Plus

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-22 19:37:25
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Hello!

I have observed this issue with various devices in the household (MacBook Air, iPhone, AppleTV, etc). These devices will be connected to the TPLink Deco M9Plus and working fine, and then suddenly one of them will just not be able to transmit or receive any data. The device continues to show that it is connected to the Wifi network, but it cannot transmit any data. Other devices seem to be fine when this happens, so the issue seems limited to just that one device <-> deco connection at that time. Sometimes the issue goes away after I toggle Wifi off/on on the device, but at other times, I need to reboot the device in order to fix the issue.

Any ideas what may be going on here or any pointers to how I can troubleshoot this further? Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!

Options
6 Reply
Re:Intermittent data transmission failure between clients and TPLink Deco M9 Plus
2021-09-23 05:42:41

@TheProfessor 

Hi, Did mainly Apple devices get affected?

Here are some suggestions for your reference:

1. turn off the Mesh technology on the Deco APP for these devices.

2. disable the private address on the Apple devices.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

Options
Re:Intermittent data transmission failure between clients and TPLink Deco M9 Plus
2021-09-23 06:26:27

@TP-Link 

Thanks for the response! 

Most of our devices are Apple devices, so I don't know what the behavior would be on non-Apple devices. 

I will try out the changes you suggested and report back in a few days. 

Options
2021-09-23 20:31:16

@TP-Link 

For my Mac running McaOS Big Sur, I disabled Mesh Technology yesterday via the Deco app. 

MacOS Big Sur does not do MAC address randomization, so your second suggestion was not applicable for this device. 

The problem occurred again this morning. 

Please advise.

Thank you for your help!

Options
2021-09-24 03:40:20

@TheProfessor 

Hi, here are some suggestions shared by other users:

1. turn off the fast roaming/beamforming on the Deco APP.

If they did not make any difference either, please help me get the following information and I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers:

1. How often did the Apple devices drop the internet connection?

2. When the internet service disconnected again, could you please help me check the IP address on the MacBook and try to ping the LAN IP of Deco and Google DNS 8.8.8.8:

How to Use the Ping Command

Options
2021-09-24 04:25:14

@TP-Link 

As per your suggestion, I have turned off fast roaming and beam forming. Let's see how this goes!

Regarding other questions -- 

On my MacBookPro, the issue happens about once a day. 
On the AppleTV, it happens each evening when I use it. 
On the iPhone, it happens less often, perhaps couple of times a week. 

I had done some diagnostics the last time this issue happened on my MacBook. The Deco is configured to use 10.0.0.1 as the gateway IP. The MacBook was on 10.0.0.130. I also observed that the MacBook was aware of the Deco's MAC address and the Deco was aware of the MacBook's MAC address. The MacBook was showing that it was connected to the WiFi, but the data transmission was failing. Ping from the MacBook to the Deco failed. Ping from the MacBook to Google DNS failed. Ping to various other well known websites also failed

Options
2021-09-24 05:01:21

@TP-Link 

Please hold off regarding my comment above. I suspect my diagnostics with ping may have been impacted by my employer's VPN which was running on my MacBook at that time. The next time the issue happens, I will disable the VPN to eliminate that variable and report back. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 480

Replies: 6

Related Articles