Deco S4 - RED LED but working??

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-22 21:32:27
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build 20200918 Rel. 77820

Hello,

Working to get three Deco S4 uits setup.  first unit is setup finally and seems to work.

- unit is set to access point , as the telecom providers modem router functonality cannot be switched off.

- hence no advanced routing stuff etc.  No problem.

Now , both the Deco app on my phone as the tplnkdeco.net management interface show error messafes : no internet, and issues with the deco unit.

And the red LED is solid. 

But so far everything seems to work. I can browse on my phone and my Pc (i'm actually making this post on my laptop, connected to the Deco unit wirelessly)..

Seems to me a few firmware bugs?  Or am i missing something?

Regards,

Frank

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco S4 - RED LED but working??
2021-09-23 00:40:51

@Friet 

A) Do you have Deco S4 connected by Ethernet cable to telecom router? If you do, do you see it in router web page, in the list of connected clients?

B) Is it possible you are still connected to telecom router WiFi instead of Deco WiFi? Have you used same SSID for both? For Deco mesh running in AP mode it would make sense to turn off WiFi in telecom router - that would also test where are your phone and laptop connected.

Options
2021-09-23 03:26:06

@Friet 

I have the same confusion as Alex and maybe the Deco has not been properly connected.

could you please also send me a private message of the MAC address of the main Deco as well as your TP-Link email ID for Deco APP?

By the way, may I know the model number of your Telecom modem router?

And have you set up any customized DNS server in the LAN, like Pi-hole ads blocker, which might block the DNS request of Deco?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-09-23 06:38:11

@ALEXANDRE 

A : Yes, Ethernet cable, and yes i see it in the router connection list

B: i created a separate SSID, and connected to that SSID, hence connected to the S4 and not my existing wifi network

Tonight i'll switch off the wifi part of my modem (@work now) and continue testing.

(and see if i can bring the two other units online)

@TP-Link

Modem/router is from Telenet , Docsys 3.1 Wireless

No specific ad blockers, DNS spoofers, etc (browser on my PC is Firefox, latest version)

MAC address = 003182C85C6C

My Deco App login is the same as my login on this forum.

The Deco is set in Access point mode.  It should not be sending DNS requests, that is taken care of by the router. 

The main issue is that everything seems to work..only the Deco App, as well as the web interface and the LEd are showing an error.. very, very weird.

Options
2021-09-23 11:42:31

@Friet 

Hi, I am afraid there would be one more weird thing.

I did not see any information related to the MAC address or your TP-Link ID.

Did you get the MAC on the back label?

I have sent your my email address and could you please send me a picture of the bottom label and the error message on the APP and web UI?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-09-29 15:34:58

@Friet 

Hi  (sorry for the delay)

i posted the MAC address already : 00-31-92-C8-5C-6C

This comes from the black label and the tplinkdeco management interface (which i prefer above the app..I hate using a phone for this kind of stuff.)

And yes the logs show a bunch of error messages..see attached txt file.

They all appear when the deco is rebooted, get the same messages.  Once the reboot is done, continuous 'ath22  no frequency information' message

And the Deco still has the flag in the management interface to indicate there is an error, and it also shows no internet access..

Be aware : it is set as access point, not as router !  I have a mixed wired/wireless network, the router is also the modem and that one is handling DNS/DHCP stuff.

And i can access the internet through the Deco..as i am doing right now using the Deco wifi network...

At the moment i am very reluctant to add the 2nd and 3rd unit until this is solved.

File:
log-2021-09-29.log deco.txtDownload
Options
2021-09-30 07:21:53 - last edited 2021-09-30 09:35:02

@Friet 

Hi, Thank you very much for the update.

I might need to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance.

PS: there is a new firmware for Deco S4 1.5.0 and could you please try to manually update the firmware to be the latest?

Please also whether there is any Firewall, like Circle, or AdGuard devices?

Please have a check of your email box.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 757

Replies: 6

Related Articles