M4 in AP mode with ethernet backhaul causing network crash

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-23 01:02:15
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

I've had two Deco M4 for a little over a year. Was a HUGE improvement over traditional router and worked great in AP mode, behind a Linksys router. Both with ethernet backhaul back to router. 

Switch ISPs and replaced the modem and Linksys router with a single unit. Same exact set up with ethernet backhaul to the new unit. Both M4 continued to work flawlessly for a week. 

All of a sudden, keep dropping off the wifi network and struggling to reconnect. When I do manage to connect, the speed is horrible and regularly says no internet connection. Try multiple devices and get the same results. After MUCH trial and error and what not, it turns out that the secondary M4 unit keeps going to blinking red lights whenever the ethernet backhaul is connected - as if it's an invite loop. 

Its important to note that;

- the new modem/router's wifi seemed to be OK when the decos weren't

- when the second deco was unplugged, everything worked fine

- I reset the secondary unit twice and continue to get the same results (red blinking lights and bad connection) after the ethernet backhaul is plugged in

- everything works fine when second unit is using wifi only

- new modem/router is a Helix Fi from Videotron (Canadian ISP)

Any ideas here? No updates to deco or helix in the day leading up the the issue. Or my thing that happened the night before was setting one Ring camera and then unplugging it. 

I read something about a protocol used in D-Link switches being an issue. Could this be the same problem I'm having? If so, could it be intermittent (1-2 weeks after hardware change)?

Thanks in advance!

Options
10 Reply
Re:M4 in AP mode with ethernet backhaul causing network crash
2021-09-23 06:11:48

@MajorT0kes 

Hi, After switching the ISP, did Deco M4 still work on the access point mode?

Was your Helix Fi gateway like this:

https://videotron.com/en/support/internet/equipment/helix-fi-gateway

So now, the network topology like:

Have you tried to switch a different Deco as the main Deco to see whether the issue flows with the specific Deco or not?

Options
2021-09-23 14:57:29

@TP-Link ,

Thanks for the quick reply. 

The diagram you provided is correct. At the moment, after encountering the issue, the secondary is wireless back to the primary.

It worked fine for a bit over a week after switching ISPs. I didn't make any changes to the wiring or to any other hardware not have I change any settings on the Helix or the Decos. 

I have not tried switching the secondary deco to primary. I can but I have ~20 home automation devices connected and I'm trying to avoid having to reconnect each one. Is there a way to switch the primary/secondary easily without redoing the configuration? 

I'm looking at adding another 1 or 2 units to expand my range once this is resolved. 

Options
2021-09-23 14:59:24
And, yes the link you provided is the correct hardware. It would be the version 2 unit.
Options
2021-09-24 06:50:22

@MajorT0kes 

Hi, we could switch the main Deco on the APP directly, and there is no need to reconfigure the Deco system.

Did Deco M4 still work on the access point mode? And it seemed like yours is on the wireless router mode with both units to the ISP gateway, which might cause the loop?

Options
2021-09-27 02:21:52

@TP-Link

The units were initially configured in AP mode and have never been put back to router mode. 

I tried switching Unit 2 to master as suggested. When I did that, I left the previous master (Unit 1) plugged in to the modem/router/switch unit and then plugged Unit 2 (the new master) into the modem/router/switch. The result was the network became unstable; slow connection and would lose internet access. 

I then swapped Unit 1 and 2 physical locations and had the same results. The network appeared more stable but speed dropped to ~1mb/s. 

I then unplugged the ethernet to Unit 1 (new slave/old Master) and the network was stable and around 13mb/s. 

Our old ISP was 20mb/s and with the two Deco M4s wired to the router/switch which was wired to the modem, we had 20mb/a everywhere. 

Our new ISP is 60mb/s and the deco net work never exceed 20mb/s. The wifi network from the modem/router/switch is 60mb/s pretty much anywhere in range and to all wired devices. 

I need to get this fixed. I was looking at adding two more M4 or M5 to increase the range into the backyard but right now I'm going to hold off until this is resolved. 

Options
2021-09-27 03:44:31

@TP-Link

I can confirm that with either Unit 1 or Unit 2 as master, the second unit cannot be plugged into ethernet or it will create an unstable network which will eventually block access to the internet.

Ethernet cables are tested and fine. 

Are there any ports I should open or other configuration changes I should make on the Helix Fi (gen 2) that the Deco M4s may require? 

Thank you for your help. 

Options
2021-09-27 06:01:35

@MajorT0kes 

Hi, thanks for the update.

I have consulted your case with the senior engineers and they suppose that the hardware switches part of the new Helix Fi gateway 2 is quite the same as the D-link switch.

Your guess at the beginning is correct and the Ethernet backhaul packets could not always be forwarded correctly and Deco tends to create the Mesh via wireless backhaul, which caused a network loop.

Currently, It would be suggested to add a TP-Link unmanaged switch behind the Helix Fi gateway 2 and connect both M4 to the switch.

Options
2021-09-27 15:55:52

@TP-Link

Thanks again for the quick responses. I'll get a stand alone switch and give that a shot. Hopefully I could find something in the next couple of days. 

Options
2021-09-28 00:24:41

Thank you @TP-Link !!! 

Picked up a TP-Link gigabit 5 port unmanaged switch today. Turned everything off while I hooked everything up and then powered things on. Was blinking red for a while and then it all came back online. Full ISP speed on wifi anywhere in the house. 

Time to pick up more Deco M4 nodes!

Options
2021-09-28 01:44:54

@MajorT0kes 

Great News and Thank you for the update!yesyesyes

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1366

Replies: 10