TP-Link Archer T4u does not have option to provide 5Ghz mobile hotspot, or change preferred band.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link Archer T4u does not have option to provide 5Ghz mobile hotspot, or change preferred band.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-23 13:18:40
Model: Archer T4U  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Archer T4U(US)_V3_181023_Win

I have a TP-Link Archer T4u, I have been using it for a few months with minor issues, but able to connect to 5Ghz wifi normally when i have the proper drivers. Recently i switched to ethernet, and decided to use it as a mobile hotspot on my pc. The hotspot works, except it only works on 2.4Ghz, with no option to change to 5Ghz. I searched up a solution which is to go to Device Manager>TP-Link adapter>Properties>Advanced. The options that should appear(for example: preferred band) just like on any 5ghz adapter is not there. These are screenshots of my screen and what it should have been, on an intel laptop capable of connecting to 5ghz wifi. My main purpose is just to enable 5Ghz mobile hotspot, does anyone have a solution?

Options
3 Reply
Re:TP-Link Archer T4u does not have option to provide 5Ghz mobile hotspot, or change preferred band.
2021-09-24 10:12:23

Hey @Lauzt1 , 

May I know do you use Windows 10?  Microsoft seems to have a troubleshooting guide for this issue, you could give it a check : 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029083/wireless/intel-wireless-products.html

Ensure your Windows version is up-to-date. 

Try this chipset driver for  and see if it helps with the issue
https://static.tp-link.com/beta/2021/202101/20210108/RTLWlanU_WindowsDriver_1030.41.0514.2020_Drv_3.00.0036(26078).zip
As this could be related to some settings on Windows, you may need also create a thread on the Microsoft form directly and see if they any further suggestions.Your understanding is much appreciated. 

Options
Re:TP-Link Archer T4u does not have option to provide 5Ghz mobile hotspot, or change preferred band.
2021-09-24 12:02:05

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for the reply. I found out that turning on mobile hotspot from the popup at the taskbar starts the hotspot on the 5Ghz band, while starting it in the settings menu starts it in 2.4Ghz. However there is no way for me to change the preferred band or change the band of the mobile hotspot, even after installing the driver file you provided. I have also checked on other windows systems that are using this network adapter, the settings on those systems show up just like mine in the screenshots i provided before. Do you mind telling me what the driver does? Anyways right now i am not in a hurry to fix it anymore because i know it is capable of sharing mobile hotspot at 5Ghz, but please do follow up with any additional information you find. 

Options
2021-09-27 01:27:04 - last edited 2021-09-27 01:28:46

@Lauzt1 Difficulty setting up 5Ghz hotspot on Windows seems to be pretty common, one Microsoft forum user shared a way to create a 5Ghz hotspot, but that requires your computer connected to a 5Ghz Wi-Fi first and then create the 5Ghz hotspot, you may try this workaround if you have a 5Ghz Wi-Fi.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-10-5ghz-hotspot/fbde787d-2500-43fe-aa1c-32819a1b4b84

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2837

Replies: 3

Related Articles