Local DNS does not provide name resolution of devices connected to the router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-24 09:25:55
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20210513 Rel. 79745(5553)

Model: Archer AX1500

Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20210513 Rel. 79745(5553)

Hardware Version: Archer AX10 v1.20

The router seems to be running a local DNS service at 192.168.0.1:53 and it works fine for external address resolution.

But for some reason the DNS does not resolve locally connected device names. The list of local devices/systems with name is available from the DHCP Client  list on the UI but the DNS does seem to add/update these to its list. I did not have this issue with any of my previous routers. Please fix the firmware to allow local dns name resolution.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Local DNS does not provide name resolution of devices connected to the router
2021-09-26 07:53:10

@sureshredis 

From what I can understand, the Archer AX10 doesn't support resolving the local hostnames of the client devices, but it does forward them directly when receiving. This should be supported on the client devices themselves.

Options
Re:Local DNS does not provide name resolution of devices connected to the router
2021-09-26 08:33:44 - last edited 2021-09-26 09:50:09

The local DNS runs on192.168.0.1:53 and on all my previous routers it used to resolve the hostname of locally connected devices and only forward when the devices are external to the router. Looks like on TPlink router it is running in proxy mode. Hence it directly forwards instead of trying to resolve for local devices. We need the option to set the local DNS to be in authoritative mode and only forward if it doesn't find the host in its local domain/DHCP client list.

Options
2021-09-27 06:10:55

Hi @sureshredis, I didn't make myself clear in my previous reply. The TP-Link router doesn't support resolve the local hostnames via DNS, it doesn’t support ping hostname either.

While if the local device supports LLMNR protocol or similar protocols, generally Windows computers support LLMNR protocol, I think you can still ping that hostname between the devices, as the router won't block that data or traffic. Regarding the fact that you failed to ping the hostname of the local device, I guess they don't support the LLMNR protocol. Can I know what are devices you are performing the ping test locally?

Options
2021-09-27 06:30:28
Yes I'm able to ping all the devices using IP. But what Im requesting is to be able to ping or connect (ssh) using hostname which requires DNS resolution. My previous router(Netgear) provided this simple function of locally connected hostname resolution. The connected hostname list is available on the tplink local DHCP server and the local DNS should be updated with the list. The connected devices are windows 10 and Linux(ubuntu 18.04) laptops. This requires a DHCP/DNS configuration change on the Tplink router software/firmware. Please add this change/feature on the next firmware update.
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2136

Replies: 4

Related Articles