M9 - Disable DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

M9 - Disable DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
M9 - Disable DHCP
M9 - Disable DHCP
2021-09-25 12:12:24
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

On the brink of (maybe) buying a Deco M9 Plus. I heard/read that you can't disable the DHCP unless you turn it into AP-mode. I also read by a support employee on these forums that the suggestion to turn it off was passed on to the developers.

This is a make or break feature for me; if it doesn't have it I will buy something else.

So just wondering, is this possible already? :)

Options
7 Reply
Re:M9 - Disable DHCP
2021-09-25 12:59:30

@Alex. At firmware 1.5.5, Deco M9plus has a "Smart" DHCP which sometimes messes my network even in AP mode. In my case, I have Deco M5, firmware 1.6.0 which allow to disable this feature,so I've promoted one of M5 to main Deco. My network is very stable now. 

Options
2021-09-25 13:44:17

@Alex. 

If you plan to run Deco M9 Plus in Router mode, here is the answer from TP-Link Support: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/207382

Options
2021-09-26 08:08:57

@Alex. 

Hi, it is still not available on the wireless router mode but will be available on the access point mode.

May I know why do you want to turn off the DHCP under wireless router mode?

Options
2021-10-04 11:58:39

Hi @TP-Link !

I have my own DHCP-server, and would like to assign certain IP ranges to certain devices. 

Kind regards,

Alex.

Options
2021-10-04 23:37:10 - last edited 2021-10-04 23:38:16

Alex. wrote

Hi @TP-Link !

I have my own DHCP-server, and would like to assign certain IP ranges to certain devices. 

@Alex. 

What you described is standard functionality of DHCP server. Deco also has it, take a look at How to configure Address Reservation with Deco?

You will have to use Deco DHCP server instead of yours, and this will also require you to set IP address reservation in Deco for each of your devices you want to have static IP address assigned to, but it is one time undertaking. 

If this is too much work or does not work for you for any reason, I would suggest you look for WiFi mesh from different brand. It is very unlikely an option to disable DHCP in Deco Router mode will appear for Deco M9 any time soon. The feature list for next M9 firmware does not include it, and that next firmware might be months before GA.

Options
2022-02-04 15:48:29

This is still broken as I have a functional DHCP server in my network and "Smart" DHCP refuses to remain disabled.  It is causing my network to be practically unusable because it keeps stepping over my real DHCP server.  For this product to be useable for those of us who run a real DHCP server (there's a ton of us, clearly) this feature needs to have an option to completely disable.  I don't want it to ever come on unless I turn it on, why is that such an impossible concept for the developers to grasp??  Just let me turn it off, and while you're at it, let me set whatever WiFi channel that I want to use!  I paid $500 for a WiFi system that I expect to be able to use.  It is unusable.  That price point comes with a certain expectation of control, and the power users currently have zero control.  

I have two x90's at the latest firmware in AP mode.  Just want DHCP disabled indefinitely and the ability to select my WiFi channels.  My DHCP server is serving a limited scope of IP's to my network, leaving about half of the range for static IP's.  I suspect perhaps this is why "Smart" DHCP is failing at its job.  Maybe it doesn't play well with limited DHCP scopes in the environment?  Whatever the case, the correct resolution would be to remove the "smart" feature and just leave it off if the user turns it off.  It really is maddening!!

Options
2022-02-09 09:48:19

@Wraith.DJ Completely agree, this expensive products don't have much BASIC router functions (choose node to connect to, select WiFi Channel, use build-in usb or Zigbee). And most importantly - lacks firmware updates.

Frustrated Deco (X90, M9 Plus, M4R, E4) & Tapo (C200, C210) owner looking for solutions to use the investment in them. Expensive Plastic...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 834

Replies: 7

Related Articles