Bridge mode loses internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-28 17:29:50 - last edited 2021-09-29 01:12:53
Model: TD-W9970  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So I've got my W9970 to act as a modem for an ASUS RT-AX58U for my TalkTalk broadband, when I put it in quickstart mode selecting talk talk UK it works when I connect my router in auto IP mode (as opposed to PPPOE)  however that's a double NAT as the WAN IP is 192.168.x.x range.

When I add the bridge mode it continues to work however when I try to disconnect the original broadband quickstart option and the internet on the router disappears. 

Is it a problem with the W9970 putting into bridge mode or is it the router settings? Talktalk doesn't have a username of password it autodetects you're on the right line. The settings are

Username

We use automated network authentication so there is no need for a username. You can leave this blank.

Password

We use automated network authentication so there is no need for a password. You can leave this blank.

Transfer Mode/Loop Encaps PTM

VLAN ID 101

MTU 1500

DNS Set as automatic (or similar)

Priority 0

Authentication DHCP/IPoE

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383

Does anyone have an inkling of how to solve this problem?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Bridge mode loses internet connection
2021-09-28 18:13:10 - last edited 2021-09-29 01:12:53

@Ginnel 

Read through this story to see if it can help in your case.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-09-29 23:36:20

@terziyski Hi thanks for that I'm following that set up exactly physically I'm using a automatic IP when setting up the ASUS router because my ISP auto detects the line and doesn't use a username password PPPOE system. I've messed around some more with router settings and now it can't even get the internet from the tp-link without being put in AP mode. So not from when the W9970 is being used as a router or bridge mode which is odd because it would when I was using it as a router before.

Options
2021-09-30 01:35:14

@Ginnel 

RT-AX58U WAN port supports Internet connection Type : PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, Automatic IP, Static IP

According to TalkTalk fiber broadband guide the Authentication type should be DHCP/IPoE.

Can't advise on whether RT-AX58U can handle that (assuming RT-AX58U set as Automatic IP) if W9970 is in bridge mode.

In the story I posted the authentication, encryption, and compression type is PPPoE, which is supported by both devices - thus making bridge mode possible in this case.

I would call TalkTalk support to be advised regarding technical possibility to use W9970 in bridge mode in conjunction with RT-AX58U in their network.

If you can't, then the only way to avoid double NAT is to use the RT-AX58U in AP mode.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1296

Replies: 3

Related Articles