AX73, AX20, etc... - Broadcom chipset OFDMA issue?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-20 09:45:28

I did one test with a WiFi 6 router TP-Link AX73 (1.0.3 Build 20210717 rel.64680(4555)) and it was very frustrating for me.

I have also received independent validation of my tests using professional equipment: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/sta-to-sta-ofdma-issue.74943

I wrote about its results to the local support (months ago), and after a long period the support answered me, that the problem was not on their side, but global - in the OFDMA technology itself (in reality - a chipset).

If this is the case, and it is impossible to fix it due to the design error of the chipset, then this is an epic fail!

OFDMA not only does not fulfill its widely advertised function, it is harmful!

So, the test is like this. It is very simple. Each user can check for himself.

• We take a Wifi 6 router. I had a TP-Link AX73 (I also tested this on AX20 router - the result is the same)
  • We connect only two wireless clients to the router. Both are in AX mode. In my case, these are laptops with Intel AX200 and AX210 adapters.
  • The OFDMA function must be disabled in the router settings
  • With the iPerf 3, we check the speed of the wireless connection between these two clients (WLAN->WLAN test, or STA-to-STA). One of them is running a server, the other is in the role of a client. (The command I use is the simplest one: iperf-3.1.3-win64 \ iperf-3.1.3-win64 \ iperf3.exe -c 192.168.1.70 -R -P 8 -t 30)
  • We get a speed about 600 Mbps
  • Now turn on OFDMA and repeat the test
  • We get the speed three times worse! About 200 Mbps! The result does not depend on the direction server-client or client-server.

If you do a similar test, but LAN->WLAN, if there is only one wireless client, then enabling OFDMA does not affect the WiFi speed in any way.

Degradation occurs only when two wireless clients work at the same time (and more, as I suppose).

By the way, I use the following router settings:
Power high, channel 36, width 160, WPA2 / WPA3-Personal, 802.11a / n / ac / ax mixed
TWT, Smart Connect - OFF
MU-MIMO, WMM, Airtime Fairness, Zero Wait DFS - ON
I tried different combinations of these settings, but I did not find anything critical when turning them on and off. Only OFDMA behaves inadequately.

If we take two wireless clients + two wired servers and simultaneously conduct two parallel sessions of iperf3 (LAN->WLAN + LAN->WLAN), then again - with OFFDMA turned off, the speed in each of the two client-server pairs turns out to be two to three times higher than with OFDMA turned on.
And further. If one of the wireless clients operates in the AС mode, and the second one - in AX mode, then turning ON / OFF OFDMA does not affect the speed of the wireless network.
I suspect a bundle of Broadсom's router chipset and two Intel wireless cards is to blame.

Unfortunately, I have no way to test this issue with other clients and other routers.

I am sure this is incorrect behavior. OFDMA should not degrade the bandwidth of a network in which there are only two clients and both support OFDMA. However, I cannot conduct additional tests to understand who is to blame for this issue: the firmware of the router, the Broadcom chipset and its drivers, Intel adapters or the OFDMA technology itself.

Is it possible to fix this problem?

Does the TP-link work in this direction?

Is Broadcom trying to fix her?

If the problem cannot be fixed, is the TP-link going to honestly declare this and recall the routers affected by this failure?

PS. With router AX20, the situation improved slightly after the release of firmware 1.3.1 Build 20210524 rel. 40909 (4555). So, earlier the speed was equal to 140 Mbit with OFDMA on, and 350-400 with OFDMA off. On the latest firmware, it became 300-360 with ON and 400-420 with OFDMA OFF. But there is still a loss of speed (minus 50-100 Mbps), and it is clearly and objectively noticeable - every time I switch OFDMA ON/OFF, the speed changes.

Options
5 Reply
Re:AX73, AX20, etc... - Broadcom chipset OFDMA issue?
2021-10-22 15:12:45

Anybody home?

Options
2021-10-26 13:30:26

There will be no answer?

Options
2021-10-28 12:19:44

@STN 

Hello, I would say the speed test you did is quite thorough, while I honestly don't know this is caused by the router chipset or anything else. Have you got contacted by the local support or the support engineers? I would suggest you contact them, and they should be able to help confirm it.

Options
2021-10-28 13:16:43

The local support service confirmed this problem to me, but told me that it was not a firmware glitch, but "the problem is global, in OFDMA technology." At this point, I was asked to close the ticket. Thus, I have not received any details, and it is completely unclear whether this problem will be resolved.

Since the failure is confirmed on other routers with a broadcom chipset (but is not detected by a qualcom chipset), the culprit is most likely the chipset or its driver. Therefore, the problem can only be solved by the manufacturer of the router in contact with the manufacturer of the chipset. I suspect that no one is doing this at this stage.

Options
2021-10-29 13:23:02

I was able to perform additional speed tests on the AX73 router with Intel AX200 and AX210 clients running in AX mode. This time I used two independent server-client pairs working simultaneously (LAN-> WLAN) + (LAN-> WLAN). That is, the Iperf3 servers are connected to the router with a cable. Clients are wireless.
The commands i used are of this kind. For DL (from server to client):
iperf-3.1.3-win64 \ iperf-3.1.3-win64 \ iperf3.exe -c 192.168.1.70 -R -P 8 -t 30
And for UL (from client to server):
iperf-3.1.3-win64 \ iperf-3.1.3-win64 \ iperf3.exe -c 192.168.1.70 -P 8 -t 30
Router settings:
Power high, channel 36, width 160, WPA2 / WPA3-Personal, 802.11a / n / ac / ax mixed
TWT, Smart Connect - OFF
MU-MIMO, WMM, Airtime Fairness, Zero Wait DFS - ON
A lot of numbers were received, I will try to give only the main ones.
So.
If only one LAN-> WLAN pair works at a time, then with the first server I get a DL speed of about 700-730, and with the second 810-820. In the opposite direction, these are 680 and 880. Hereinafter, I will assume that the difference of 50-100 is at the level of measurement errors.
If on one client open two Iperf windows at once and run two tests in parallel with both servers (in order to bypass the 1 GB limit on one LAN port), then at a channel speed of 2400 each client is able to get a total traffic speed of about 1100-1300 (DL and UL are roughly equal).
Now we launch both pairs at the same time and look at their mutual influence. Unfortunately, the total speed of both pairs does not reach those indicators that I see when working with only one client.
So, if both pairs work on DL, then their total speed is about 750-770.
At UL, it turns out a little more in total - about 900-1000.
In this case, the speeds between the pairs are distributed fairly symmetrically. Roughly speaking, this is 450 on one pair and 450 on the other. In total - 900.
In the case of multidirectional traffic (one pair - UL, the second - DL), no changes are observed - all the same 900-1000.
When enabling / disabling MU-MIMO, no changes are observed! The speeds are almost identical. Although in such a test at least some percentage of differences could well have been! I suspect MU-MIMO doesn't work here at all. Well, or my clients are too close to each other and to the router for MU-MIMO to work.
I have not yet revealed any effect from Airtime Fairness either, but in such a test, I suppose, it should not have a strong influence on anything.
But when I enable OFDMA, the effect is still noticeable, and it is still negative. But now it is clearly visible at what specific point it occurs.
So, we do the same thing, but with OFDMA enabled.
If both client-server pairs work on DL or both pairs work on UL, then there are no major changes. Moreover, in DL mode, the total speed even grows slightly - from 750 to 900-1000! In the opposite direction (UL) it falls slightly: from 900 to 750-800.
But once you make multidirectional traffic, that is, one pair works on DL, and the second - on UL, the traffic symmetry disappears, and the UL speed drops sharply. We get 450 DL and 135 UL. In total - about 600. I tried all combinations of client-server and each time the pair, the client of which was in UL mode, gave a speed of 130-170, no more. Of course, if I carried out the WLAN-WLAN test, then its total speed would not exceed the speed of the slowest point, that is, it would be about 130-200.
I tried to set the "Increase throughput" flag in the Intel adapter settings - no effect was observed.
But as soon as one of the clients is switched to AC mode, everything becomes quite symmetrical again, and the total speed of the two UL + DL pairs turns out to be above 900.
That's it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1725

Replies: 5

Related Articles