4G LTE Router need arials outside but also signal to devices in side....

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-24 23:59:47 - last edited 2021-10-25 02:24:18

Hi guys i have a problem getting wifi in my workspace, ive rented a backroom in a barbers which has roller shutters on the front which need to be shut when the barbers isnt open.

When the shutters are down i cant get any signal at all.   Ive bought a TL-MR6400 Router which has two small arial for indoor use.

Im toying with the idea of removing the small fin aerials from the router and mounting outside two of these then running the cables through the wall to the router:

would there then be signal to the router which holds the sim card but no way to get the signal from the box to my devices?

if so then there arent any more holes for aerials so im guessing my only option would be to either live with only connecting my laptop to the router by ethernet cable or...

Would it be possible to link the router by ethernet cable to one of these or something similar?:

So all in all i need to make sure i can receive signal from outside, pass it to the router inside and then feed it to my devices...

im in over my head a bit with this so any advice would be really appreciated

Options
2 Reply
Re:4G LTE Router need arials outside but also signal to devices in side....
2021-10-26 17:02:14 - last edited 2021-10-26 17:04:28

@Tatman1 

The page with the technical data is not absolutely clear to me, but the way I understand it is that the TL-MR6400 of hardware versions V1, V2, V4 and V5 have external removable LTE antennas and internal Wi-Fi antennas (inside the router's housing), while the TL-MR6400 of hardware version V3 has external Wi-Fi antennas and internal LTE antennas (inside the router's housing).

In case you happen to own a V3 model you would be pretty much out of luck.

But if you own one of the other hardware versions, then what you are planning to do should work with no problem. (without the need for a Wi-Fi repeater like you showed above)

Options
Re:4G LTE Router need arials outside but also signal to devices in side....
2021-10-26 20:05:49

@woozle ah thankyou yeah ive been lucky i have the V5, well it says version 5.20 on the box - i'll double check the router label tomorrow to make sure.

Ive bought a repeater from ebay anyways for a really low price so i think this project is gonna go alot smoother than it could have been.  Ive even spotted an air vent that i can pass the cable through so no need for drilling.  My only concern will be the metal shutters interferring with the signal but theres only one way to find out, worth giving a go :)

Fingers crossed!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 365

Replies: 2

Related Articles