TP-Link and Deco M9 kind of sucks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-28 17:42:08
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.9.44

So frustrating. Have had issues with the Deco. Came here and wrote a post describing how I fixed it. Because it had a word that they didn't like, it locked me out of posting. When I went to post it later it logged me out and I lost the entire post.

Not writing it all up again. Bottom line beside the site being poorly designed, any of the parental control features that include "pay to surf" are also trash. Spent hours debugging why Zoom wouldn't work (that was culprit.) Just recently discovered on different profiles that still had it that has been blocking access to Microsoft store and Windows update! Son and I spent hours figuring out this was the issue. Shocking that got through testing, not sure how someone can ship a product that blocks access to the Microsoft store or updates and not notice or fix it. Disappointing.

Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-Link and Deco M9 kind of sucks
2021-11-15 08:24:49

@JSyversen 

Good day, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

The firmware above 1.5.1 has fixed the issue that Zoom is blocked by pay-to-surf.

And we also confirmed Microsoft store would not be blocked by pay-to-surf.

As for the windows update, there are different kinds of windows update types, like the system update from windows 7/8.1 to windows 10/11 which is a paid service.

While as for the others, like windows software update under Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update, most of them are free to update.

But currently, the Parental control>pay to surf does not clearly separate one from the other.

So May I know which kind of windows service do you want to update?

As a workaround, It is suggested to remove the pay-to-surf category temporarily and finish the update, then add this category back.

It would be highly appreciated for you to help us check for further details so that we could have the chance to optimize the database of parental control.

Thank you again for your attention.

Options
Re:TP-Link and Deco M9 kind of sucks
2021-11-15 21:12:17

@TP-Link I've been trying to just use "Windows Update". It would hang with a hexadecimal error code. That code (I can't recall it off the top of my head) when you look it up meant that Windows can't reach the Microsoft update server. We also couldn't update apps on our Xbox, as it couldn't connect to the App store. Everything else worked fine. I tried a million things (turned off AV, firewalls, reboots, random settings on Windows, etc.) and had no luck. When I turned off parental controls on the TP-Link M9+ routers, the Xbox could connect to the store and Windows started updating immediately without difficulty. I turned parental controls back on but turned off pay to surf, and everything still worked. So it was clearly an issue with the Microsoft app store/update servers being flagged as "pay to surf" at some point. (It used to work a year ago, it stopped sometime around March I believe.)

Jason

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 617

Replies: 2

Related Articles