Extender speed slower than router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-09 12:40:13
Model: TL-WA855RE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Why extender speed is only about 25% of the router speed? Extender has both blue lights on, it's about 4 meters away from router. I also have Mi wifi extender and I setup about 10 meters away from the router and speed is about 50% less than rauter.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Extender speed slower than router
2021-11-10 03:19:07

Hello @Algra 
As range extender needs to receive data from the router and then forward it to the connected clients and speed will decrease during the transmission, if range extender speed is not satisfactory, it is very important to check what speed it received from router at the same location,can you help confirm some details here so we could check if its a normal speed

- at RE's location, what is router's 2.4Ghz speed and the Wi-Fi link speed on computer (TL-WA855RE only supports 2.4Ghz, make sure you are testing 2.4G at that time)

- what is the speed of rannge extender and the Wi-Fi- Link speed on computer

How to improve the speed of TP-Link wireless adapters?
TL-WA855RE supports 300Mbps on Wi-Fi Link speed,  it is recommended to find a laptop which wireless adapter supports 300Mbps and see if speed test results could be better. 

By the way, may I know the model of your Mi range extender? 

Options
2021-11-10 03:44:04

@Solla-topee 

I am using only 2.4ghz on the router.

Testing router the speed was 12mbs, the speed of the TP extender was under 2mbs.

The Mi extender is Xaomi pro 300m extender.

Xaomi extender is set up about 6 meter from router in the living room first floor.

Speed test at about 4mbs

Router on second floor in the office room.

TP extender on send floor hallway.

Options
2021-11-14 03:31:12 - last edited 2021-11-14 03:35:48

Hello @Algra Thank you for your detailed reply. As range extender works in half- duplex (receive and send data at different times) and the speed loss in the wireless transmission, the speed can be less than 50% of the speed that extender receives, for a single band extender. 

At second floor hallway, how much speed you could get from router at extender's location?  And what is the Wi-Fi Link speed on your client at that time? 

If the Link speed  is higher, the real speed test could be higher * also limited by the speed extender receives. How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

Please also confirm 855RE firmware is up to date: https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/tl-wa855re/#Firmware

You could also put Mi extender at the second floor and see how much speed it could get. Can I have photo of the speedtest results on router (at RE's location) ,extender and the link speed. 

Options