RE450 linked to Archer AX50 mac address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-09 15:53:10
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 20190124 rel 56886

I brought the router mainly for the parental controls. To extend the coverage, I have a RE450. All is linked up and works well, apart from when you are connected to the RE450 the parental controls don't work. I think it is because that the router sees the MAC address of the RE450 and not the device that you wish to control. 

Under parental control I have checked the MAC of the device and made sure I have the right device added. When I look at the 'ARP' table I don't see that MAC but do see the MAC of the RE450 repeatedly. Is there a way around this? 

Regards 

Options
1 Reply
Re:RE450 linked to Archer AX50 mac address
2021-11-10 01:12:13 - last edited 2021-11-10 02:43:25

Hello@Lochie 

Due to Proxy Mode, Range Extender will replace each of its clients’ MAC address with a virtual MAC address generated automatically by Range Extender. Thus the router will take the virtual MAC address of the clients as their real MAC address. 

To set parental control for clients  (laptops, mobile phones) connected to range extender, you could use virtual Mac address ( shows up on extender's web page) in router's parental control settings and see if that helps:  We have an instruction here that might be able to do some help: 

How to set up Mac Filtering on router (blue UIto control the devices connected to the Range Extender?

Note that if the clients stay connected to range extender, then it uses virtual Mac address given by range extender.

If client connects back to the router's network, it will use the real Mac address.

By the way, will you consider use range extender in AP mode (wired to router), in AP mode devices uses the real Mac not virtual Mac addresses. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 331

Replies: 1

Related Articles