unstable speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

unstable speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
unstable speeds
unstable speeds
2021-11-15 21:45:48
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi all I have a Deco M4 3 units on 350mbps  from my ISP .I set up the system from the isp modem and all was working fine till last night. Unfortunately  I had a fault which emulated the same fault  I have experienced on 2 other systems , I lost my Internet connection .I naturally reset my modem but the wifi didn't restart in fact the 2 wireless units spent all night alternating from a red light solid , and flashing and a solid white light. When I got up I restarted the modem and also the mesh , regained wired connections but still no wireless..I decided to start from scratch deleted the network and reset the units . However I could not connecthe main unit to main unit as before so I assigned a diff unit to be the main . The next unit connected easily but when I tried to connect the old main unit it would not  until it was touching the main router. I am still getting probs from this unit and I am suspecting it could be faulty , my daughter checked he speed from her room and was in excess of 100mbps , in my room  2 mbps...I moved to her room and my speeds went up back to mine and it went down..this happened at approx the same time as last night ...could I be right in suspecting a faulty unit ..any ideas please

Options
8 Reply
Re:unstable speeds
2021-11-16 03:18:45

@ukmartian 

Hi, thank you for the feedback.

I see there is a new firmware released for Deco M4, Deco M4(EU)_V2_1.5.2_20210916

Since it could not be downgraded back to 1.4.3, if you do not mind, we could do a simple test:

1. switch the location of this problematic Deco with the other satellite M4, then check whether it behaved the same in a different place.

If yes, it is more likely you have a faulty unit.

Then we could check on the Deco APP and find the IP address of this unit(not LAN IP 192.168.68.1 which is the IP of the main Deco).

After that, log into the web UI and update it to 1.5.2 individually to see whether the new firmware could save it.

Options
2021-11-16 07:20:49

@TP-Link    ok thanks I will try that

Options
2021-11-16 13:51:09

@TP-Link  good afternoon...I have tested the speeds by interchanging the units as suggested.once they had reconnected the unit I suspect has a problem did in fact have slower speeds on average in  both rooms than the other unit even though it normal position is closer to the main unit with less obstructions ...i did at least 3 separate checks on both units in both rooms. Another thing I also noted was the problematic unit was warmer to the touch so I measured the temps of both with a surface IR thermostat which did show that it was indeed 4c warmer than the other despite coming from a cooler room....it does make sense that this is the same unit which would not allow the other 2 to connect when it was the main unit 

Options
2021-11-16 19:26:05

@TP-Link Hi I have continued to monitor this afternoon and this evening...i have just tested my  deco and got virtually no speed this was on my dedicated guest network of 2.4  ...i tried it on the other deco and got about 60 + I then switch to the mesh combined network and still got a low speed, tested again within seconds and got nearly  150...i have also noted that whilst both decos are connected to the main hub the one that may be faulty only connects at 2.4 whilst the other connects at 2.4 /5 ghz...not being a networking expert I cannot say if this is correct but I am learning fast...I hope this additional info helps I have attached screen shots

Options
2021-11-17 06:41:40

@ukmartian 

Hi, Thank you for the detailed information.

I think you might locate the problem.

If the wireless backhaul is 2.4ghz only, it would reduce the speed dramatically.

Have you tried to update the firmware 1.5.2 on the M4 to see whether it could make any difference?

By the way, May I know how long have you had the M4 kit?

if the firmware did not help, could you please send the following information to support.forum@tp-link.com with the following information:

1. A picture of the bottom label of this defective unit.

2. The purchasing receipt of the Deco M4 kit.

Options
2021-11-17 08:22:48

@TP-Link  please could you advise on procedure for checking and updating the firmware.

Options
2021-11-17 08:35:43

Receipt as requested I will send other info shortly...thank for your help

Options
2021-11-17 20:04:54

@ukmartian  as requested a picture of the bottom label  I have also added a picture off the connected client on this unit, as you can see there is none..there is actually 3 online devices on the 5ghz band about 2 metres from the unit but they are actually connecting to the main Also I have purchased a TP link 300 ethernet to USB adapter and plugged it into a tablet via a adapter cable it worked when I tested at the main yesterday and the tablet recognised it but I could get no internet through it today..once again thanks for your help..

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 592

Replies: 8

Related Articles