Modem & Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Modem & Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Modem & Router
Modem & Router
2021-11-17 02:01:02 - last edited 2021-11-18 03:37:00

Why a modem has to be turned off before connecting to a router? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Modem & Router-Solution
2021-11-18 03:36:52 - last edited 2021-11-18 03:37:00

@nyonyo 

Hello, as far as I can tell, most cable modems remember the MAC address of the device they are attached to and will not allow a different MAC address to connect. Because of this if you put in a new router without rebooting the modem, rebooting generally refers to power off then power on, the new router will most likely not get an IP address from the cable modem and thus will not connect to the internet. Rebooting/Restarting the cable modem allows it to re-register the MAC address of the new router you have attached to it and all should work.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Modem & Router-Solution
2021-11-18 03:36:52 - last edited 2021-11-18 03:37:00

@nyonyo 

Hello, as far as I can tell, most cable modems remember the MAC address of the device they are attached to and will not allow a different MAC address to connect. Because of this if you put in a new router without rebooting the modem, rebooting generally refers to power off then power on, the new router will most likely not get an IP address from the cable modem and thus will not connect to the internet. Rebooting/Restarting the cable modem allows it to re-register the MAC address of the new router you have attached to it and all should work.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Modem & Router
2021-11-25 00:09:37
Thank you, but I always connect my new routers to the modem without turning it off first, and it always works, isn't it to prevent electrical surges?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 318

Replies: 2

Related Articles