Deco X60 keep losing the settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-19 14:28:04
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I purchased a X60 mesh sytem with 3 X60 Decos a few weeks ago. I was super happy with them until last week when they suddenly stopped working, no Internet connection. 

Nework topology is as follows: 

* main Deco connected to the ISP Modem and used in a Router mode. This deco is also the DHCP server for the internal network

* 2 Decos connected with a UTP cable via a managed switch to the main Deco (both set up as APs)

It is the third time in 9 days with the same issue: main Deco becomes suddenly "ready to be set-up", light is blinking blue and all settings gone. So I need to redo all the settings. 

It is super frustrating, especially with kids having online schooling and family members working from home!

I am clueless...anybody experiencing the same and having any idea what the problem might be?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco X60 keep losing the settings
2021-11-19 19:57:59

@Sorin7559 

Even though a hard wired setup is generally better, as a trouble shoot I'd try setting the satellites up wirelessly.

Options
2021-11-19 21:11:05 - last edited 2021-11-19 21:12:22

At the beginning they were wirelessly connected, but the signal loss was simply too big. While main Deco was delivering +/- 600Mbs constantly, the satellites were only getting to 150Mb in the best case. Wired..they are equally fast. When it works, this system is unbelievable. But "when it works" started to worry me....I really need a stable and reliable connection

Options
2021-11-20 02:21:14

@Sorin7559 

Just Main Deco goes bad, right?

I wonder if you have defective X60 unit, which happened to be Main Deco. To test that, promote different Deco to Main Deco and swap it with Main Deco. See if new Main Deco experiences same issue or if issue followed original Main Deco unit. 

Also, are you the only one who has access to Deco app on smartphone? If someone deletes Deco unit from Deco mesh, in Deco app, "Deco is ready for setup" is what you could get.

Finally, @BBH has the point: does not matter how impossible it sounds, but what happens could be result of incompatibility between Deco units and your switch or Ethernet wiring. To test that, you'll have to run Satellite X60s connected wirelessly to Main Deco for a while.

Options
2021-11-20 18:15:39 - last edited 2021-11-20 18:17:01

Thank you for the extended answer.

I will try to punctually answer and detail:

- not only the main deco has this issue, but 2 out of 3. When this happens, the main deco and one of the APs are blinking blue, while the other AP has a solid red light. Last time (which was yesterday) I could not reconnect anymore the AP blinking blue, so I have now only a main deco and one AP

- I have seen in the past a lot of systems with switched/APs, from HP or Cisco to Peplink and TP link. I have done all combination imaginable and never ever had any compatibility issues

And finally, connected wirelessly is not an option for me. I have a home office on the second floor in the house and I really need good speed and reliable internet there. And while I have 600Mb constantly at the entrance point (ground floor), I can hardly get to 120Mb-150Mb on the second floor wirelessly. And in the same time connection is instable with a very big latency. So, unfortunately wired is the way to go.

If I can't figure it out, I'm afraid that I will have to return the Deco system and install my old routers/APs back...

Options
2021-11-21 01:46:00

@Sorin7559 

Makes sense to return Deco X60s and try different WiFi mesh. You either have defective set, or some sort of incompatibility between Deco and your wired home network.

Options
2021-11-22 11:43:07

@Sorin7559 

Hi, maybe you could help me record some details when you wait for returning the Deco, so that we can see if there is a breakthrough:

1. Have you happened to remove the Deco units from the APP?

2. Would you please send me a private message about the SN number of your Deco kit?

3. Any suspicious power outage caused the auto-reset?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-11-22 12:21:28 - last edited 2021-11-22 12:22:17

Hi, Thank you for the questions, will try to answer one by one:

1. No, I did not remove any Deco from the app. The problem happened 3 times already and affecting 2 out of 3 Decos, so the likelihood of this being the cause is extremely low :-)

2. Message sent

3. No power outage for sure. Some of the IoT devices I have are connected directly to the ISP modem and they were online continuously (main Deco and the modem are connected to the same power socket).

I am not really keen on returning the system - when it works it is just wonderful! But I want to eliminate the "when it works" from the equation, I need a reliable Internet connection. That is why I would be curious to test another system. 

Options