Separate Deco Network Interference

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-25 09:27:38
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Beta (Latest)

Hi there, 

I think I have found a huge security issue with Deco. 2 years ago, my network consisted of a router/modem, used to handle internet and DHCP on my home network, and a set of 3 Deco M5 units. That worked OK, but found some issues with backhaul that ended up with me buying a set of Deco p9s instead. I reset the M5s about 12 months ago, and ended up giving the M5s to my neighbour and got them to set up their own network. 

For the most part things have worked pretty well, but in the past 2 months i have had some significant issues with internet drops (lasting 20secs to 3-4 mins) and struggled to work out the cause. 

Recently, I have been digging on this and have started visiting my router/modem (a tp link vr400) at 192.168.1.1 to see what is going on, but have beenseeing intermittently a Vodafone router homepage (I dont have one) and if I refresh the page it will show again as tp link and I can view logs. Digging more, I was watching the mac address of my gateway using arp commands, and noticed it changing quite frequently from a TP Link mac to a Hauwei mac. It turns out that my mesh network is extending the next door neighbours mesh. I fixed my drops by changing my internal subnet to a different one but Im still able to jump between 19.168.1.x and my new one 192.168.100.x. When I set my laptop as 192.168.1.x my wan IP changes and Im effectively on their network. How is this possible? This seems like a massive security risk?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Separate Deco Network Interference
2021-11-25 12:52:42 - last edited 2021-11-25 13:00:38

Further to this, I dont know why this is happening, but I have tried multiple times to destroy my deco network and setup the P9s again on my network using my router. I setup my router with subnet 192.168.100.1, and setup the deco to AP mode on that. Initially it will pick up an IP in my 100 subnet. But it still reconnects to next doors M5 network despite us having different SSIDs  and passwords, and the iPs of everything on MY wifi change then to 192.168.1.x subnets. I popped next door to look at their setup, and lo-and-behold MY ENTIRE network is visible on their router because the poor security of deco mesh! How is this even possible?????

One thought that occured to me, is this because the M5s were originally linked to my tplink-id? Is there a way to change what are attached or remove those M5s?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 320

Replies: 1

Related Articles