Connecting Archer C80 to 2 Access Point C6 through wire

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-26 16:50:19
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone.

Hope you are doing well.

I'm currently reshaping my network structure at home, which was currently working with a router Archer C80 as main router and 2 powerlines AV600 (which unfortunately don't work very well). I have a 3 floor house, on which the router is placed at the first floor and I need to extend internet to the other floors.

I have currently a phone cable connecting to all rooms of the house and I want to replace it with a CAT7 cable.

I've also bought 2 C6 routers to work as an access point through wire, since from the first to the second floor can't reach the wireless signal. At first I thought that 2 cables would go through the internal phone tubing, but since the CAT7 cables are thick, I may not get them both in, which gets me in trouble, since I've already bought all this material for that reason.

So my question is:
Is it possible to make a wired connection from the C80 router (main/first floor) to the C6 access point (second floor) and other wired connection from the C6 access point on the second floor to another C6 access point on the third floor? Or I just need to work around a solution to send 2 separate cables for each access point?

The wired scheme would be kinda like:
Router -> wire to -> Access Point (1st floor)
Access Point -> wire to -> Access Point (2nd floor)

I've been searching the web, but I can only find a wireless point to multipoint bridge. Since this is a wired install, I'm not sure if it goes by the same principles as the wireless multipoint bridge.

Any help would be much appreciatted.

Sorry for my bad English.

Thank you.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Connecting Archer C80 to 2 Access Point C6 through wire
2021-11-29 07:54:24

@HelmutC 

Just to be sure I understand your inquiry correctly, you want to connect the Archer C80 and 2 C6s in the below layout:

ISP modem---Archer C80 (main router and acts as the DHCP server for the whole network)---Archer C6 (AP mode)---2nd Archer C6 (AP mode)

*--- stands for the Ethernet cable, NOT phone line

The answer is YES, this will work without an issue. But be sure the cable quality is good, and you can check and ensure you can get internet access by connecting a computer directly to the cable from the wall, where you need to connect to the Archer C6.

This is the guide to turn the Archer C6 into an Access Point mode:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1384/

Options
2021-11-29 08:49:48

@Kevin_Z  thank you for your reply.

Since I've managed already to make the first connection from the first to the second floor, I connected a 10Gbps CAT7 cable (with the appropriate plugs/ends).

Actually my Archer C80 is acting as an ISP modem (just have a little box that converts the fiber to ethernet).

I've installed the first C6 with default settings and it's currently working as a 2nd router (I'll change to AP after installing everything).

I was afraid it wasn't going to work, but currently it's working flawless.

The one thing it's not working is the Smart TV, for some reason it can't connect to the wireless network, but can connect through ethernet cable.

So far I'm pretty happy with the results, and I'll finish the installation to share how things work.

The speed tests:

First floor:

Second floor:

After finishing the third floor and setting both C6 as AP, I'll share the outcome.

Thanks for helping.

Options
2021-11-29 09:17:05

@HelmutC 

Good to know it works flawlessly with the 1st Archer C6, you can take your time to add the 2nd C6 to the network then share with the community how it works. Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 344

Replies: 3

Related Articles