Really need help with my Deco system

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-27 17:13:19
Model: Deco W3600  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hey guys,

I have Fios gig connection at home but the house is too big for that one router they give out to reach the entire home. Maybe if i explain my currently living situation, it would give a better understanding and make things clearer. So the Fios router is in the dining room on the first floor, so basically the center of the house. All the bedrooms are either on the first floor but on the edges of the house, or updstairs. Basically in a range where the wifi doesnt reach to the bedrooms. That's when I decided ok I need more routers. 

So I bought a Deco W3600 Wifi Mesh system to see if that should help. It came with 2 routers. I placed the main deco in my room. Reason is because I have very long cable connection all the way from the Fios router down into the basement, back up into my room, basically going across the entire house from underneath. The reason this was done was bc mesh systems came out, i was extending my wifi this way as an access point with an old netgear router. I would connect the main router from the living room all the way to my room to bounch off the original signal to the entire house. And also be able to plug my PS$ in directly to that netgear.

Anyways, Now i have the main deco set up the same way. I have a long Cable connected to the Fios main line connected all the opposite end of the house in my room to the main Deco hard wired to do the same thing. I also have another Deco in my parents room upstairs so they can get signal as well. (before, the old nightwak would reach their room bc it was righ above my room, so no issues). But since wifi 6, I needed a new system that is cabable of Wifi 6 since we got Fios 1 gig.

I guess my question is, what settings should i have my Deco on? Router Mode? Or Access Point mode?

Previously with the netgear, i was using it as an access point and then switching both names of the routers and passwords to be the same as i was told to do by a technician and it seemed to be working fine. I'm having trouble with this new mesh system as i am not that educated with it yet. Although i would like to be

From what im saying, it seems like it should be set to access point mode as i have been doing before... but some people have told me otherwise idk

One more thing i wanted to ask was. If all connections are good, whats the average download speed you guys get when you test your speed online via wifi on a 1 gig connection? For me im getting around 300-400 but thats making me believe that im only connected to the 5G speed and not the normal 2.4

Im starting to think i should just get another netgear, a much much better one and just make that an access point again in my room. What do you guys think? sorry for the long post

Options
4 Reply
Re:Really need help with my Deco system
2021-11-28 01:39:23 - last edited 2021-11-28 01:42:04

@bigmac155 

If you feel more comfortable with Netgear, you should return Deco units and get another Netgear unit.

As for Deco, you seem to have it deployed wrong, and perhaps have incorrect assumptions on how Deco mesh works together with Fios router.

Deco does not expand ISP Router WiFi. Deco creates and manages its own WiFi network, and that is true for Deco mesh running in both Router and Access Point mode. This is how you should have deployed Deco in your house:

1) For your house and what you described, Deco must run in Access Point mode. It is, if you have Fios router, not Fios modem. You have Fios router, right?

2) Turn off WiFi on Fios Router. This is important!

3) Put Main Deco side by side with Fios Router, connect them by short Ethernet cable;

4) Put Satellite Deco in your room, connected by long Ethernet cable to either Fios router or Main Deco. Verify, in Deco app, that Satellite Deco uses Ethernet to connect to Main Deco;

5) If two Deco units deployed that way do not provide sufficient WiFi coverage for your house, you'll need to buy additional unit(s).

As for WiFi speeds, I suggest you deploy Deco the way I described, and then test again. If you still see slow speeds, reply to this thread and myself or someone else may be able to give few troubleshooting recommendations. The speed of 300-400Mbps is what you could get on WiFi5, and what I do get on my Deco M9 and M5, on WiFi6 with everything else done right you should see better speeds.

Options
2021-11-28 03:14:57

@Alexandre. 

1. I think so? It's the Fios G3100 router

Do you mean turn all of these off?

As for the speeds. I know even wired you're not even supposed to expect 1 gigs. But realistically, if everything is working properly, whats the average speed I should be expecting from a 1 gig internet connection from Verizon Fios if i run a speed test on my app using the following?

1. directly wired 

2. wirelessly connected to the 2.4GHz connection (up close to the main router)

3. wirelessly connected to the 5.GHz connection (up close to the main router)

Right now, directly wired, I was getting about 800 download. And when I run the speed test wireless up close, the max I get is about 400-430 download

A couple of months ago, I was told to put my Fios router in bridge mode. I'm assuming that's what you meant before by turning off the Wifi?

Options
2021-11-28 03:17:34

@Alexandre. 

There's also this page that might help you understand better

Options
2021-11-28 13:00:39

@bigmac155 

So, you do have router. 

Yes, you need to turn all of these off.

No, you do not need to put your router in bridge mode. On router, turn off WiFi and change no other settings. On Deco, switch its mode to Access Point. That's it.

In regard to speeds:

1a. directly wired to the router - I am getting 930-950Mbps on my gigabit Ethernet, using Ookla speedtest app on desktop. It is important to use app and not www.speedtest.net web page, Ookla recommends using app on speeds above 300-500Mbps.

If you are getting 800Mbps, that's a bit low. 

Also, check what speed you are getting at the far end of your long Ethernet cable, because this what will limit your WiFi speeds there. Satellite Deco can't provide speeds faster than Ethernet connection it uses to connect to Main Deco and Fios router.

1b. directly wired to the Main Deco - same as directly wired to the router.

2. wirelessly connected to the 2.4GHz connection (up close to the main router) - depends. Theoretically, up to 200-300Mbps, but in my tests with different devices I never got more than 100Mbps, whatever I tried. I simply turned off 2.4GHz in my house.

3a. wirelessly connected to the 5.GHz connection (up close to the main router) on WiFi5 - up to 550-650Mbps. In my tests I am getting these speeds as top speeds, with average at 350-450Mbps.

3b.  wirelessly connected to the 5.GHz connection (up close to the main router) on WiFi6 - up to gigabit (or 800Mbps if this is what limits your Fios router)

---------------

It seems that maybe your mobile device is not WiFi6 capable, or it does not negotiate WiFi6 with Deco, if all you are getting is 400-430. That seems to be an OK speed for WiFi5.

Also, check this document: How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 469

Replies: 4

Related Articles