Archer C80 - default config - unable to access websites using FTP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-05 07:58:25
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: latest

Hi I recently upgraded to and Archer C80 but I'm now unable to connect to any of my websites via FTP.

Nothing else in my setup has changed, and it's on all servers via FTP, not just a single one. 

I reset the router but it didn't have any effect. I've also updated the firmware to the latest version.

Checking on Filezilla forums, they suggest it's a firewall issue. I did try disabling the firewall on the router but it seemed to have no effect, although I didn't reboot it.

I keep seeing port forwarding pop up in searches but looking at the settings it doesn't seem to match what I'm needing.

Thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C80 - default config - unable to access websites using FTP
2021-12-05 14:14:41

@a-ron I am a bit confused.

What do you mean access websites via FTP?
Are you trying to do an outgoing FTP connection from your network, to an FTP server in the WAN?

If yes, and you are getting connection issues, try using telnet to connect to that host on port 21.

If you cant connect using telnet, go and check in your router settings : Security > ALG > FTP ALG. Make sure its enabled.

Options
2021-12-07 07:39:32

@ku4eto - thanks for the reply.

I update websites via FTP a lot and since upgrading my router, I'm now unable to connect. 

I have got around this  with some of the sites by using plain insecure FTP - non TLS and that's working for some, but some hosts don't allow this.

FTP ALG setting is on.

Tested with telnet and got this response "Could not open connection to the host, on port 990: Connect failed"
I have added forwarders for ports 21, 20, 990 & 989 and turned off firewall but still no beans. 
standard FTP on port 21 is working, but not all hosts support that anymore. Checking Filezilla forums, they suggest a firewall?

If I use my old router - it works... 

Options
2021-12-07 08:06:39

@a-ron 

Hi, I'm wondering if it helps if you change the WAN DNS on the C80 to Google's 8.8.8.8 or Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1. Give it a try.

BTW, who is your ISP? Is it possible to verify if the WAN DNS server on the C80 is the same as that on the old router? You can try cloning the MAC address of the old router to the C80 if possible. Below is the guide you can check:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2264/ (Situation 2)

Options
2021-12-08 06:41:38

@a-ron Another thing that came to my mind:

Usually, "Connection refused" means, that the otherside has a firewall enabled on their side.

Since you have switched the routers, check if you are still being assigned the same public IP by your ISP.

It is possible, that the domains you are trying to connect to, are filtering with firewall (iptables) the source IPs.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 678

Replies: 4