Connection-specific DNS suffix - any way to set it?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-06 14:45:42 - last edited 2021-12-12 22:54:00
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20201120 rel.50399(5553)

I recently bought an Archer A7 to replace an old Norton Core router I'd been using for my work-from-home environment.  The work I do requires me to network together a wide variety of devices, including those running WinCE, Linux, and Android.  I also have multiple Windows-based VMs on this network.

Now with my old Norton Core router, when you used IPCONFIG you could see it had a "Connection-specific DNS suffix" on its LAN.  The suffix, appropriately, happened to be "lan" in lowercase.  What this did was effectively create an FQDN for every device on my local network.  My PC became "PCHOSTNAME.lan", my Android device became "DeviceName.lan", and so on.  With this arrangement all my devices had visibility and connectivity to each other using this FQDN.  The local DNS resolved these names successfully.

Now, with my Archer A7, the "Connection-specific DNS suffix" is a blank string.  So all my devices are identified on the network as just the bare hostname.  While this doesn't seem to be a problem with my Windows devices (the PC, the WinCE device), for some reason the Android and Linux devices fail to resolve the bare hostname to an IP.  So both throw "unknown host" errors.  They connect without difficulty when I specify the hardcoded IP address, so the basic connectivity is definitely there -- it's just the hostname they can't resolve.

So does anyone know a way to make the Archer A7 put a nonblank string in the suffix?

Or, alternately, does anyone have any insight into what the problem might be if it's NOT the absence of a suffix?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Connection-specific DNS suffix - any way to set it?-Solution
2021-12-07 11:59:00 - last edited 2021-12-12 22:54:00

@JDM-GBG 

Hello, the TP-Link router doesn't support resolving the local hostnames via DNS, it doesn’t support ping hostname either.

While the router won't block that data or traffic. If the local device supports LLMNR protocol or similar protocols, generally Windows computers support LLMNR protocol, I think that is the reason why the Windows devices can still ping the hostnames. Regarding the fact that Android and Linux devices failed to resolve the hostname, I guess they don't support the LLMNR protocol.

As far as I know, there is currently no plan to add the support for resolving the local hostnames via DNS on the Archer A7, but we will surely forward your request to the engineering team for serious consideration.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Connection-specific DNS suffix - any way to set it?-Solution
2021-12-07 11:59:00 - last edited 2021-12-12 22:54:00

@JDM-GBG 

Hello, the TP-Link router doesn't support resolving the local hostnames via DNS, it doesn’t support ping hostname either.

While the router won't block that data or traffic. If the local device supports LLMNR protocol or similar protocols, generally Windows computers support LLMNR protocol, I think that is the reason why the Windows devices can still ping the hostnames. Regarding the fact that Android and Linux devices failed to resolve the hostname, I guess they don't support the LLMNR protocol.

As far as I know, there is currently no plan to add the support for resolving the local hostnames via DNS on the Archer A7, but we will surely forward your request to the engineering team for serious consideration.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Connection-specific DNS suffix - any way to set it?
2021-12-12 22:53:24

@Kevin_Z, thanks for the response.  This is helpful to know, not just for my own home network but for my co-workers and our company's products as well.

Options
Re:Connection-specific DNS suffix - any way to set it?
2021-12-15 06:51:04

@JDM-GBG 

You are very welcome.laugh

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1760

Replies: 3

Related Articles