AX73 / AX5400 unusable 2.4GHz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-13 22:34:41
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20210717

Switched from an older D-Link router to a new AX73, I've had huge problems connecting my previous Sonos system (3 Symfonisk) and realized today that the 2.4GHz WiFi's range is very very short, where the 5GHz is 3/3 "Apple bars", 2.4GHz is 1/3 or not visible. (Within 10-15' with an indoor wall between, line of sight 20-25' also lower strength) 

Considering going back to old router, if only to test its 2.4GHz. Tried different channels, Modes, Transmit power etc, no dice.

Could this be a hardware problem? Brand new WiFi 6 router shouldn't have these issues? 

Options
6 Reply
Re:AX73 / AX5400 unusable 2.4GHz
2021-12-14 07:37:26

@West408 

Hello, is this AX73 brand new? Try resetting it to factory defaults, then monitor if the default 2.4G Wi-Fi signal is sufficient. There are cases that the signal drops or weaken if there are lots of 2.4G signal interfering with yours. You can try installing and running a Wi-Fi analyzer on the computer to review the signal or networks in your neighbors, then choose one with the least interference with them.

BTW, we would also like to know how much dBm of the 2.4G signal in the same location tested with 5G signal, what is the distance between the computer/phone and the router, etc. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-12-14 17:46:12
Yes, its a week or 2 since I got it. Tried a reset previously but tried it again today, did not help unfortunately. Got an analyser installed, here at my living room desk, where one of the Sonos speakers are located, 5GHz has -48 in signal, while 2.4 is down at -90 or not visible at all. This is about 5m from the router but with one inner wall in-between. Also checked the channels and I was alone using it, tried a couple others but no difference. Seems like bad luck and some kind of faulty device, 2.4 obviously works, maybe antenna connections that are broken?
Options
2021-12-17 09:38:31

@West408 

If that is the case, and nothing helps you can always contact technical support to be advised further.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-01-31 11:50:07 - last edited 2022-01-31 11:50:45

@West408 

I face same issue to connect with my sony bravia TV.  I am already trying to get solutions but nothing happen. I think there are lots of issue in this AX73. I just bought before 4 days and problem start. I am just trying to resolve if possible, otherwise i will return and will buy another old model from other brand. I have old tplink ac750 , that works, but there was range issue and so i bought this new router, but my choice is wrong here. I need to resolve it urgently but nothing happen and so no option except return it i think.

Options
2022-02-01 21:59:05

@Atul2 

I exchanged the faulty one with a new from the seller, wired it up and everything worked as they should. 

I've only got a middle size apartment and the router is pretty much in the middle, but it's better than the previous dual band (Non WiFi 6) router I had. But like mentioned previously, download an app to check the WiFi strengths, if there is a difference between the bands or it's bad at already short distances, I'd get it replaced under warranty. 

Options
2022-02-02 02:32:10

@West408 

My router may be not faulty, because its work fine in all other device with wifi (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz). Issue is only connect with tv.  If i use old router, then its work and so might be connectity issue with this new router, so now thinking to return this and buy AC ROUTER with some good range. At this time, i will try ASUS rather than TPLINK, because now i have bad experience with TPLINK.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2666

Replies: 6

Related Articles