Can't connect Chromecast

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can't connect Chromecast

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Can't connect Chromecast
Can't connect Chromecast
2021-12-18 09:38:33 - last edited 2021-12-20 11:28:00
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 Build 20210414 Rel. 58075

Hello,

I am about to get desperate on my Chromecast. (2nd generation)

It can't/won't connect with my Deco M4 or it has some kind of problem with my phone?

Setup:

1 Deco Living room (connected with LAN to router from my provider) 

1 Deco Bedroom

Before the Decos I connected it with the normal 5Ghz from the router of my provider. No problems, install within 2 minutes, like the way it should go, plug and play.

Now I installed the Decos, connected serveral decives. (I also had little trouble with my Google Home, but that problem solved almost instantly)

The WiFi signals from my providers router are turned off.

Connected:

Google Home Mini

Philips Hue

Smart TV

2 mobile cellphones

In the Google Home App he asks to install Chromecast, all steps will work, until the connection. After the password input, he tries to connect but then gives the popup on my mobile phone saying: "Can't connect with your Chromecast".

Extra info:

Chromecast does send out an 'WiFi signal' but no internet connection on it.

Deco app gave a notification that a new device is connected. Chromecast is sometimes visible as active connection.

The following things I tried:

- Manually Password input in Google Home App, gives longer connection time, also popup can't connect to Chromecast.

- WiFi turned off on mobile phone - Chromecast can't connect at all, will be stuck in the connection screen.

- Deco seems to recognize the Chromecast, I have put the Mesh function off in the Deco app.

- Deco fast roaming is turned off.

- Set a static IP for the Chromecast.

- Mobile and Chromecast are connected with the same Deco (Living room)

- Turning off 2,4 Ghz, nothing better.

- Turning off 5 Ghz, nothing better.

- Factory reset Chromecast so many times.

- WiFi and Router complete reset/restart.

- Changing SSID from the Deco, nothing better.

- Moving the Deco in 'clean air', for less interference of other devices. 

I have no extension cord for the Chromecast, but I am convinced that won't solve the problem, since it installed with no issues before.

Deco has no updates.

These are all steps which helped others to fix the connection. Many people experience a restart is enough. Well I tried over 50 times to restart and factory reset everything. 

Also deleted the Chromecast in the Deco App several times, to make a 'fresh' connection.

I am almost convinced my Chromecast/Deco is having some kind of hardware issue. 

Since my Chromecast isn't connected in my Google Home App I can't update it, or access the Chromecast at all.

Anyone having a solution for this?

Greetings, Nienke

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can't connect Chromecast-Solution
2021-12-20 09:46:10 - last edited 2021-12-20 11:28:00

@Nienke 

Hi, Thank you a lot for the detailed information.

It seems like the communication between Chromecast and Google Home APP might be blocked.
Since you have the main router already, could you please help me run a test:
1. set up Deco M4 as an access point and check on the smartphone whether you are able to set up Chromecast.
(It is still suggested to turn off 5ghz and forget the Deco network on the smartphone, then connect again on the smartphone, then start setting up the Chromecast.)

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Can't connect Chromecast-Solution
2021-12-20 09:46:10 - last edited 2021-12-20 11:28:00

@Nienke 

Hi, Thank you a lot for the detailed information.

It seems like the communication between Chromecast and Google Home APP might be blocked.
Since you have the main router already, could you please help me run a test:
1. set up Deco M4 as an access point and check on the smartphone whether you are able to set up Chromecast.
(It is still suggested to turn off 5ghz and forget the Deco network on the smartphone, then connect again on the smartphone, then start setting up the Chromecast.)

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can't connect Chromecast
2021-12-20 10:47:11

@TP-Link 

Thank you for the response.

I changed the settings to Access Point, successful connected the Chromecast.

It did give the notification that my phone and Chromecast aren't connected to the same internet source, even though it works!

Do I need to keep the Deco in setting 'Access Point'?

I don't know if there is any difference between the router and access point mode?

Thank you for the reply!

Options
Re:Can't connect Chromecast
2021-12-20 11:23:43

@Nienke 

That’s wonderful newslaugh.

When Deco is on access point mode, all the firewall and NAT have been disabled.

You could consider it as an extension of the main network.

For more details, please have a look at this link:

What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 2916

Replies: 3

Related Articles