Deco "Linked Deco" Mesh, Wi-Fi and wired devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-20 16:50:19
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 build 20211103 rel 32888

Hi @All  and @TP-Link @tplink

resuming from https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/169918?replyId=1028202 

I have two x20 Decos (1.1.3 build 20211103 rel 32888) and my WIRED Apple TV is on the same Ethernet switch as the Main Deco, but it is attached ("Linked Deco”) to the Satellite Deco x20, witch is on the wireless Mesh AND also wired to the Main Deco over a switch. I just cannot make the Apple TV device to get a DHCP lease from the main Deco it is connected to via wired ethernet (“a)”).

The other thing is the Mackbook-1 wired to the Satelite X20 available Ethernet port, and which Deco is also wired to the main Deco via a switch, and my internet quality on MacBook-1 is poor, almost looking like it is going via Wifi instead of cable, even though I am wired (“e)”)

a) ISP modem---<cable>---Main Deco X20-+-<cable>---Apple TV device

b) ISP modem---<cable>---Main Deco X20-+-<cable>—SmartTV-1

c) ISP modem---<cable>---Main Deco X20-+-<Wi-Fi>---Tablet-1

d) ISP modem---<cable>---Main Deco X20-+-<cable>---Satelite X20-1

e) ISP modem---<cable>---Main Deco X20-+-<cable>---Satelite X20-1---<cable>---Macbook-1

f) ISP modem---<cable>---Main Deco X20-+-<Wi-Fi>---Satelite X20-1---<Wi-Fi>---Tablet-2

Marcio

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco "Linked Deco" Mesh, Wi-Fi and wired devices
2021-12-21 03:35:38

@MarcioS 

Hi, Thank you very much for getting back to me.

Actually, I am a little confused about the following statement:

Satellite Deco x20, which is on the wireless Mesh AND also wired to the Main Deco over a switch.

e) ISP modem---<cable>---Main Deco X20-+-<cable>---Satelite X20-1---<cable>---Macbook-1

f) ISP modem---<cable>---Main Deco X20-+-<Wi-Fi>---Satelite X20-1---<Wi-Fi>---Tablet-2

Were you trying to say, satellite X20 is physically hardwired to the switch but on the Deco APP, it showed 2.4ghz/5ghz as the signal source?

And what is the model number of the network switch here?

I used to see that some switches are unable to be used to create a Ethernet backhaul, such like D-link switch:

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco (Q4 and Q7)

Options
2021-12-21 22:09:04 - last edited 2021-12-21 22:10:45

Hi there. Yes, satellite X20 is physically hardwired to the same switch as Main, but on the Deco APP, it showed 2.4ghz/5ghz as the signal source! But i didn't know about any steps for a backhaul ethernet config. I just followed the standard steps on X20 User Guide. Looks like we need and Advanced Guide with more extensive explanations :-) My central switch is a Netgear ProSafe GS110TP.

Options
2021-12-22 02:25:57

@MarcioS 

Hi, Normally, the Ethernet backhaul does not need additional configuration and it should be active once the cable is plugged in.

But we do get some feedback that some switches do not support the standard IEEE 1905.1 protocol which is used to forward packets of Ethernet backhaul, such as the D-link switch.

So now, I think your Netgear ProSafe GS110TP might have the same problem with dealing with IEEE 1905.1 protocol and the cable between the Netgear switch and main Deco is inactive.

In this way, your network topology actually is:

ISP modem---<cable>---Main Deco X20----<Wi-Fi>---Satellite Deco-----Netgear switch-----<cable>---Apple TV device

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 953

Replies: 3

Related Articles