Setup Deco X20-DSL

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Setup Deco X20-DSL

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Setup Deco X20-DSL
Setup Deco X20-DSL
2021-12-21 08:57:11
Model: Deco X20-DSL  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

Can someone please help me out on three points relating to setting up a Deco Mesh system over Wifi.  

I have had a response from tech Support which says attach my Deco unit to a modem via ethernet cable.  The unit in question is a X20-DSL which I bought understanding it had a modem inside it.  Can this be connected straight to the splitter on the incoming copper wire phone line ?

In The Deco app it asks at an early stage "how do you want to use your product". I cannot work out which of the two choices I should be selecting.  I want to plug the X20-DSL straight to the telephone wall socket and use it as the first node of the mesh setup which will be Wifi throughout, so do I select DSL modem router as the X20 is a DSL modem router or Wireless Router because that is how I want the signal to transmit around my house.

Lastly, I have found a reference to the maximum number of Deco units on a Wifi system as 10 but what has confused me is that it goes on to say "no more than 3 hops on the network". If a hop is data packet transferring from one Deco unit to another and you had 10 Deco units on your system then surely you have at least 9 hops ?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Setup Deco X20-DSL
2021-12-22 01:10:04

Stylax wrote

Hi,

Can someone please help me out on three points relating to setting up a Deco Mesh system over Wifi.  

I have had a response from tech Support which says attach my Deco unit to a modem via ethernet cable.  The unit in question is a X20-DSL which I bought understanding it had a modem inside it.  Can this be connected straight to the splitter on the incoming copper wire phone line ?

Yes, it can be be connected straight to the splitter on the incoming copper wire phone line.

In The Deco app it asks at an early stage "how do you want to use your product". I cannot work out which of the two choices I should be selecting.  I want to plug the X20-DSL straight to the telephone wall socket and use it as the first node of the mesh setup which will be Wifi throughout, so do I select DSL modem router as the X20 is a DSL modem router or Wireless Router because that is how I want the signal to transmit around my house.

You are right to choose the DSL modem router mode.

Lastly, I have found a reference to the maximum number of Deco units on a Wifi system as 10 but what has confused me is that it goes on to say "no more than 3 hops on the network". If a hop is data packet transferring from one Deco unit to another and you had 10 Deco units on your system then surely you have at least 9 hops ?

As for the hops, the following pictures might help, So it tends to connect more satellite Deco nodes to the main Deco, like "star map", not always "daisy chain".

@Stylax , Thank you very much for your time and patience. Please refer to the above answer in bold.

Options
2021-12-22 10:54:09
Thanks for clearing this up. My second attempt to set up one X20-DSL (and then 4 X20 satellites in due course) has failed. The X20-DSL has a solid green light which I understand to mean it has no problems and is connected to the internet. My iPhone has a tick next to the new network name but if I click on the 'information' icon and then go back, the tick has gone and there is a message in red under the network name that there is no internet connection and I should contact my ISP. I have done, but does that sound right - phone shows I am on net, X20-DSl shows I am on net but I am not.
Options
2021-12-23 10:42:45

@Stylax 

Hi, I guess you used iPhone since I kept seeing it on my mobile phone as well even though other devices are working with no issue.

Have you checked whether you had the same issue on other mobile devices?

And the Green LED means Deco Is online and should provide internet service.

How about the 4*Deco X20? What is the LED status?

May I know who is your internet service provider?

Options
2022-01-03 11:47:00
All sorted now thanks
Options