RE505X seems to have problems with hostnames and mixes up IP/MAC addresses

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-22 15:02:52 - last edited 2021-12-22 23:24:53
Model: RE505X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.12

(Post edited for typos and added some info about what the RE505X sees also.)

I just bought the RE505X to replace a Netgear EX3700 extender.

I am using it to extend my TPLink AX5400 network to my office, where i have connected a switch to the RE505X, and a desktop plus a NAS to the switch.

Everything is "working" perfectly, but my AX5400 router is suddenly really confused about which hostnames and IP/MAC addresses belongs to what devices. And it depends on what settings page in the AX5400 I am looking at:

* The "Clients" list in the Network Map shows only the RE505X hostname and MAC, but the IP address of my desktop computer connected to the RE505X via switch

* The "Address Reservation" settings in Network->DHCP Server shows the right IP/MAC addresses, but all the host names as "---"

* The "DHCP Client List" settings, also in Network->DHCP Server, shows everything correctly for some reason (Desktop, extender and NAS)

* When trying to add devices with "Add" on the "Access Control" settings in Security->Access Control, the list shows RE505X as hostname and MAC, but the IP address of my desktop computer. It does not show my NAS at all.

* The "ARP List" under IP & MAC binding shows the RE505X hostname for all devices but IP and MAC addresses are correct.

On the RE505X side of things, it looks like this:

* On the Status->Clients page, it only shows my desktop computer, with correct hostname and MAC address. The NAS is not on the list.

* On the Advanced Settings->Access Control page, nothing works at all. No devices shows up anywhere, even after pressing Refresh several times.

* I tried to enable the DHCP Server as a step to mitigate some outages I was having. I used the settings one of the TPLink support workers posted in response to multiple Wifi Extender connection drops. The DHCP server doesn't seem to work at all and it shows no clients. (It should have shown 2 clients). But it turns out (so far) that manually changing the Wifi Channel instead of Auto on the main router fixed my outages.

All of this worked perfectly well with my previous Netgear EX3700 extender. (And also with the old TPLink RE200 I had before that)

The only change in my setup is replacing the Netgear EX3700 with the TPLink RE505X.

This makes it a hassle to manage the Access Control list and IP/MAC binding (everything has to be done manually) and it also completely bricks the Tether app when used with the AX5400, which no longer can distinguish devices connected to the RE505X. QoS/Device Priority for some reason has to be managed from the Tether app. I can not change the settings I did with the AX5400 while using the Netgear EX3700

All devices connected directly to the AX5400 router either by wireless or wired connection has all hostnames/IP/MAC showing correctly.

It is only devices connected by RE505X that seems to have problems.

This might sound more like a bug report than a question, but I wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same and might have a solution?

Options
1 Reply
Re:RE505X seems to have problems with hostnames and mixes up IP/MAC addresses
2022-01-03 14:23:33 - last edited 2022-01-03 14:24:55

Hello @RandyMarsh 

I afraid RE does not have hostname related settings to change,it should carry the hostname info and forward directly to router. 

While this could be related to Range extender working as a proxy and RE will replace each of its clients’ MAC address with a virtual MAC address generated automatically by Range Extender as a related FAQ explained here:https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2019/

Through TP-Link RE, Netgear could recognize hostname on DHCP client list, but failed to recognize the devices' hostnames on Access Control / IP reservation page. 

This does not sound a bug but should be related to how Host router recognized the hostname of devices. You may contact Netgear support and if they have any suggestions for this. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 678

Replies: 1