Network optimization

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Network optimization

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Network optimization
Network optimization
2021-12-23 02:37:57
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.51

I purchased this Deco system in the hopes of improving coverage/speed throughout my home. I have the devices in access point mode. I have three - two wired and one wireless unit. I have about 50 devices on the network.. mostly cameras / smart switches etc. Firstly I cannot believe in as long as I have the units there has not been a firmware update. The problem that I am having is Network optimization needs to be constantly run - I can run it and 5 mins later I need to run it again. I am having a lot of issues with cameras not connecting etc. i am disappointed in dropped connections / speed throughout the house. I used to have a single NetGear router with wireless and other run some coverage issues it worked better than my x20. Any help would be appreciated,. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Network optimization
2021-12-23 10:34:41

@ADGPR 

Hi, the Network Optimization will keep being improved along with the firmware upgrade.

For the unstable connections of smart devices, here are some suggestions for your reference:

1. enable guest network for 2.4ghz only and move the frequently disconnected smart devices to the guest network.

2. turn off Mesh technology for the smart devices that dropped the connection a lot.

Please let me know whether it improved the connection or not.

Options
2021-12-23 13:19:15

@ADGPR 

Running Network Optimization every 5 minutes is like rebooting smartphone every 5 minutes - you should not be doing that. The issues your WiFi devices are experiencing will not be fixed by running Network Optimization very frequently. 

Also, every time you run Network Optimization, your wireless devices will drop connection to Deco briefly. You may be adding to issues your home WiFi experiences by doing that.

Options
2021-12-23 15:29:58

@Alexandre. 

I wasn't running network optimization every 5 mins. What I was trying to say was the system is telling me my network needed to be optimized every 5 mins. I was curious how it could degrade so rapidly. 

Options
2021-12-23 15:38:15

@TP-Link 

I guess that I will have to try that, however that is an issue for the following reasons. 

1. I want to have a guest user be able to have 5 ghz access. 

2. The TPlink devices do not allow more than one SSID other than guest network. 

3. It is a royal pain to change some devices to new SSID. In essence they have to be wiped clean and reconfigured. 

4. This is what I call the hand grenade approach to technical support - the items doesn't work properly so lets blow it up and start again. 

5. I am slowly going through the list of devices and turning off mesh network for the fixed devices. 

I wish the network optimization was being improved by firmware updates because there hasn't been one since I have owned the devices which is quite a while. 

I will keep this thread posted if I have any luck. 

Options
2021-12-24 01:53:03

ADGPR wrote

@Alexandre. 

I wasn't running network optimization every 5 mins. What I was trying to say was the system is telling me my network needed to be optimized every 5 mins. I was curious how it could degrade so rapidly. 

@ADGPR 

This part of Deco app needs an improvement. Just ignore it, install WiFi analyzer on your smartphone and see what it reports.

Overall, this is the problem you are facing: you have WiFi devices such as cameras and IoT that do not support (do not understand) mesh. Then, you've got yourself WiFi mesh system (Deco). Now, you are trying to make them work together.

I am assuming you are not willing to get rid of WiFi mesh incompatible devices, and couldn't get help from their manufacturer technical support. If you find Deco does not work for you, I would recommend not replacing it with another WiFi mesh system from different manufacturer. Instead, look for different solution to improve WiFi coverage in your house that does not involve mesh technology, such as old good WiFi range extenders.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 788

Replies: 5

Related Articles