AX11000 speed "ageing" issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-23 07:44:18
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20210719 rel.14861(4555)

Hi community,

I have a strange issue with my AX11000: as time passes it's connection speed starts "ageing" and the only thing that really helps is a reboot. For example, immediately after rebooting everything works fast and flawlessly, my speed goes beyond 600Mbps both on WiFi and cable. On a second day I can't pass 550Mbps. In a week or two it starts to slowly respond up to the point when my wired clients are extremely slow and even unaccessible (timeouts when trying to RDP). Only a reboot put the things back.

To be honest, I don't expect such "baby" issues from TP Link's most expensive SoHo router. Scheduled reboots aren't an option for me because I'm hosting myself some internet services (mostly web server).

I've replaced my old Archer C7 router with this one. Old router happens to be extremely stable. It never went to drop a bit of it's speed, never ever I was required to restart it. It was always operating  at the maximum juice of which it were capable of.

This is extremely annoying and disappointing experience with the company's most advanced router.

Thank you for your help!

Options
7 Reply
Re:AX11000 speed "ageing" issue
2021-12-27 09:45:33

@vcartera 

Hello, can we confirm more detail about your network before proceeding? How are the devices connected to the router, how many devices (especially the web servers) are connected to the router? 

When the network speed is normal, how about the router performance, how about the CPU and memory on the router web GUI? And how about those when the speed drops?

What is the LED status on the AX11000 when you failed to ping the RDP?

Options
2021-12-27 17:01:46 - last edited 2021-12-27 17:15:18

@Kevin_Z 

I have two wired clients which are used to host some HTTP services and about 7 WiFi clients. I have configured two 5GHz bands, one with 802.11b/g/n/ac mixed mode and another one with 802.11ax only. 2.4GHz band is disabled, guest netwoks are also disabled.

The LED doesn't signal anything wrong when the router is slow - just straight white. Web Servers aren't really loaded. A couple of hundreds of simple HTTP requests a day, which exchanges some bytes, not really a lot of data flow.

Also not really a lot of gaming happening on my network - my son plays some Brawl Stars on his Android device and that's it.

If I turn off QoS - by setting QoS mode to standard, uncheck any priority devices and disabling Game Acceleration option - then router pushes to its edge speed, as expected.

Whenever I turn on any of the QoS options (either Game Acceleration, give priority to any device or change QoS mode to something else than Standard option) then the speed drops from 640Mbps (that's the full bandwidth from my provider) to about 500-540Mbps (so a loose of about 100Mbps). But the worse part, as I've mentioned earlier, is this "ageing" phenomenon. As time passes it becomes unresponsive and slow. And only reboot fixes it.

I wouldn't bother really a lot, keeping the QoS function disabled. But I thought the main reason buying this kind of pricey devices are because their powerful hardware and CPU so they can keep up a good bandwidth shaping. Otherwise, with QoS disabled, any mid-range router would be just as good.

Thanks,

Veaceslav

Options
2021-12-28 08:40:44

@vcartera 

Hello Veaceslav, thank you very much for all your detailed information, and your request about the QoS or you called it bandwidth shaping feature of the router sounds pretty reasonable. Sorry to hear that it's not working as expected in your network.

As per your description, the network bandwidth provided by your ISP is as much as 600-700Mbps, and there are not many devices or services competing for bandwidth within the network, so I will conclude the bandwidth is sufficient for local usage, I would suggest you leave the QoS disabled as you mentioned (by setting QoS mode to standard, uncheck any priority devices and disabling Game Acceleration option).

I agree that there are still some cases that users do need the QoS to help improve the bandwidth for some specific device or service, you can visit the below to know more about it:

QoS: Optimize Your Wi-Fi Network

Options
2022-01-05 20:51:27

@vcartera 

Yup, I have the same issue, and have had it since I purchased the device. As the router runs day after day, it slows down.

Additionally, it seems that it slows down each day based upon the amount of usage. More streaming, it slows down more quickly, regular browsing it slows down more slowly.

And, at some point the router begins to down wireless end points and eventually stops responding. 

I've had to schedule a daily reboot to keep things working properly. 

I would love to get this fixed.as this is really a horrible service level for a Router at this price point.

Options
2022-01-05 21:41:53

@CabrioArtie for me, only fully disabling QoS helps. It's pretty fast and stable then

Options
2022-01-05 21:45:15
My QOS setting is set to Standard with no other options set.
Options
2022-01-05 21:51:56

@CabrioArtie 

Please also make sure that:

- Game Acceleration is disabled

- No devices on your network have "priority" option enabled

- You're running latest firmware (mine is 1.2.3 Build 20210719 rel.14861)

For me it works fast all the time with this configuration.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 645

Replies: 7