N-600 TD-W8980 As access point settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-23 20:54:31
Model: TD-W8980  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.6.0.1.8v000e.0 Build 150514 Rel 40138n

Not been able to get this N600 TD-W8980 to act as a Wireless AP.

Have doen many in th past but this is beign a pig.

I have found a few threads about it, one from the old TP Community forum that links just to the front page of the new forum and a few sound free videos with a yellow blob moving around thescreen, that show basically nothing.

I have the Operational Mode Set to Wireless Router Mode..there are only two options ..some threads show more options.

All the threads I have seen show to use the Incoming internet connection on Port LAN4/WAN.  If I do that I do not even get a connection to the internet on the other ports if I plug a laptop into them.

Only seems to act as a router IF the Internet In is on Ports 1-3

It is what to set the Network / WAN Settings Page that is confusing me.

The options are DynamicIP

Static IP or PPPoE

Dynamic never populates the fields..not suprisign if the Internet connection is just from another router.

Static Only works if I put in a made up IP address such as 93.106.234.48 or some similar external type WAN IP

And DHCP Server page

Disable/ Enable or DHCP Relay

well i want the DHCP to be from the main router, so either Disable or Relay 

If I select Relay A message in RED pops up about Disablign NAT, which I can do, but then it still deos nto work even setting the remoe DHCP server as the manin router 192.168.1.1

If I use Static IP with a fictious WAN IP adddress, and connect the router 192.168.1.1 to either of ports 1-3, I cna access the internet on the other ports.

But connecting the Router to Port 4 LAN4/WAn, it does nto work

Any client connected to WiFi does not ever get internet.

Anyoen have clues on how to set this up?

Options
2 Reply
Re:N-600 TD-W8980 As access point settings
2021-12-24 14:03:45 - last edited 2021-12-24 14:05:48

@NeilPaisnel 

You have two options to do that:

1. Set the TD-W8980 in wireless router mode and use its LAN4/WAN port to connect your main router.

This way it will receive its WAN IP address via main router's DHCP and it will be in main router's LAN DHCP range.

In this scenario you'll introduce a double NAT in your network but that's not neccessary a bad thing.

2. Leave the TD-W8980 in ADSL modem router mode and use this guide to configure it as an AP.

This way you'll avoid the double NAT in your network and may use any of the TD-W8980 LAN ports to connect to your main router.

The LAN IP address of the TD-W8980 should be in the main router's LAN subnet and TD-W8980 DHCP server disabled.

In this scenario TD-W8980 WAN port configuration is irrelevant.

If you still have difficulties configuring one of these scenarios you may refer to this thread and see how this was possible in case of TD-W9960.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:N-600 TD-W8980 As access point settings
2021-12-26 16:52:38

@terziyski 

Thank yo 

OK, I'll try again using the WAN port, but so far I did not find it worked..

Will follow the kink and see if it helps

Thank you 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1030

Replies: 2