Wifi6 OneMesh Extender - What am I doing wrong?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-26 13:34:26
Model: RE505X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have an AX1800 router connected to my 1 gig modem/line with QoS off, using standard settings.

I have an RE505X extender connecting to the router using Onemesh and no other settings adjusted.

Wifi on the router is 750mbps most of the time on the 5ghz band. LAN cable is 700-800mbps for connected devices.

Wifi speed on the extender is between 40 and 200 mbps on 5ghz band, when tested using the same device as testing the above.

The extender is in the next room and has a perfect signal through the doorway.

My desktop upstairs connects to the main router via wifi and gets 500mbps (it is not on all the time)

Devices connected to the extender under onemesh drop off frequently - i.e. Firestick stops streaming or buffers, iphone wont load pages etc, unless you unplug the extender and let them all connect to the main router at a lower signal, whereby they all speed up and work again. But as its onemesh lots of devices in the house try to connect to it, so lots of things just stop working until you unplug it.

Extender (onemesh) is used by my wife for homeworking in her office upstairs, which the main router doesnt reach, but is above the onemesh extender, but the constant drop outs are now making me public enemy number one. I have tried a Powerline but this is slow for her needs (system developer uploading large DB files).

My SkyQ box (I believe) also sends out a wifi signal to the SkyQ Mini boxes around the house, and my Sony Bravia TV sends out a wifi signal (for reasons I dont understand!).

So... before I pull my hair out after a month of trying every suggestion from the admin on here and across the internet, does anyone have any ideas why my Wifi6 OneMesh would be such a slow speed - and if I should just bin the TP-Link stuff I have paid a fortune for, and start again with another more reliable product?

(ps latest firmware updates on all devices, tested using same devices, all moved to good positions in the house etc, all the advice posted in other threads tried and followed with no success. Even tried turning off onemesh and putting it in extender, and using a powerline ethernet to connect to it, with no change to its speed).

Options
2 Reply
Re:Wifi6 OneMesh Extender - What am I doing wrong?
2021-12-27 07:58:41 - last edited 2021-12-27 09:12:54

Hello @Palleon  thank you for the detailed post! 

I would suggest we're looking into  RE (one mesh) drops out issue first before troubleshoot with speed. If RE is upstairs or on a different floor from router,  the drop-outs could be caused by the not-strong- enough Wi-Fi signal from router. 

1. Put  RE to a location where router has a strong Wi-Fi signal ( 2-3 bars at least)

You may put RE in the same floor as router and test a day and see if RE drops out 

2. Turn  Sky Q and skyQ mini box WiFi off (you may wire sky q main boxs) and see if RE performs better

Also try to turn TV wifi off incase that cause any interference on WiFi

3. Check the RE Led when issue happens, if RE WiFi Leds stays on, refer to  Case 1 in thread below, Turn ON RE’s DHCP Server and set up DHCP settings and see if that helps improve performance: [Troubleshooting] Range Extender Keeps Losing Connection 

For speed concern, ass range extender needs to receive data from the router and then forward it to the connected clients and speed will decrease during the transmission, we use it more to increase the stability in Wi-Fi dead spots rather than boost Wi-Fi Speed. (That means Range extender speed is slower than the speed it received from router, sometimes could cut to half or slower) if device requires high speed, you could wire RE to main router by Ethernet cable, and use RE in AP mode . How to setup Access Point Mode of Range Extender?

Can you help provide information here to help locate the issue: 

• Firmware & hardware version of RE 
  • 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz Wi-Fi Led status on RE when issue happens
  • How RE connection recovers, like If unplug RE and plug it back in when issue happen 
  • What are the devices connects to RE?  Does all the device have the issue at the same time, or only some of Wi-Fi devices have the issue?
  • Does the issue particularly happen during some large-traffic or certain network activities , like P2P download, streaming. Gaming

Thank you. 

Options
Re:Wifi6 OneMesh Extender - What am I doing wrong?
2022-01-15 17:27:40

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for the reply. 

As previously mentioned I had already tried all the advice I could find. The extender was in a strong position, all the firmware was up to date, things had line of sight and so on. 

Additionally my LG remote stopped working around the same time I upgraded the router which was odd - I tried getting a new one and still it lagged. 

The whole network would go down on a regular basis, daily, and after buying a new iPad Pro 11 with Wi-Fi 6 and getting 130mbps on a 1 gig network I decided I'd had had enough of TPLink

So I bought an ASUS router, unplugged the tplink router, unplugged the extender, plugged the new one in, and magically all the issues vanished. 

I now get 700mbps on my iPhone and iPad, and 5 bars even in the furthest reach of the house. All my devices connect with no drop outs, even my Echo Dots upstairs. 

I'm so annoyed I wasted a year on trying to get TPLink to work. I bought three different TPLink routers, upgraded cables, upgraded hardware, bought extenders and mesh systems - and it turned out all I needed was to bin TPLink...

if anyone in the UK does want a Wi-Fi 6 router or extender, please let me know. Half price. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1422

Replies: 2

Related Articles