Deco M5 frequent drop outs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-29 20:43:09
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.7

Recently bought and setup two of the three M5s. 

Now I have unstable Wi-Fi. Several devices such as Sony TV, all Google Nest devices, a Thinkpad running Ubuntu and some voice calls regularly loose connection. Before deploying the M5 none of these devices dropped connection. 

I am running the M5 in access point mode as I need DCHP served from a centralised source. I have enabled and disabled fast roaming without improvement. I have a strong background in Wi-Fi system design and surveying. 

It appears that these devices are not fit for purpose. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M5 frequent drop outs
2021-12-30 08:19:13

@DirtyDropout 

Hi, May I know the model number of your main DHCP router?

For the Sony TV, all Google Nest devices, a Thinkpad running Ubuntu, are they all wirelessly connected to Deco, or some of them are on Ethernet connection?

Have you tried to turn off the Mesh Technology for these devices on the Deco APP?

And How often did the connection drop out?

Did you need to restart these devices or restart Deco before they restore the internet connection?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-12-30 08:55:06

@TP-Link the FTTC router is from EE, their latest model. 

DHCP is served from a Pi-hole instance running on a Linux server. Leases are 24 hours. Other wired devices are in use and are required to use the same /24 CIDR range as the wireless devices. 

Dropouts are fairly regular, the frequency varies. It can be as bad as every 10 minutes or so. 

Only the wireless devices experiences any dropouts. Each drop out is is short, however long enough to disrupt streamed audio, video or voice. No action is required to restore the drop out as the devices can be seen to rejoin the Wi-Fi network.

I have not yet disabled mesh as this defeats the whole objective of the Deco M5s. If I switch back to the EE router for Wi-Fi the dropouts stop, but of course the range is not as far.  

Options
2021-12-30 14:09:48

@TP-Link I am more than happy to facilitate any diagnostics or log extractions that you consider beneficial to understanding the problem. 

Options
2021-12-30 14:35:36
Incidentally, disabling mesh for the devices that are statically positioned doesn’t prevent the dropouts.
Options
2021-12-31 03:03:05

@DirtyDropout 

Thank you very much and I would like to follow up on your case via email.

Later you could forward some logs to me.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 878

Replies: 5

Related Articles