RE505x "low" speeds as access point.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-05 09:38:11
Model: RE505X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, i bought a RE505x to plug in right next to a gigabit switch thats on the upper floor, to use it as an access point, because while the PCs connected to the switch via ethernet are getting fast internet, obviously, the wifi from the router downstairs doesn't reach (For the phones for exemple)

Anyways, so i configured it and everything, then swapped the mode to access point, plug it to the switch, let it do its thing, everything works just fine, but then i go to speedtest it and find myself stuck at ~220mbps down, 330mbps up (yes faster upload, this is also reflected in the wifi setting page of my phone, thats roughly the connection between my phone and the wifi. It is not speedtest, the servers or my internet connection that bottlenecks this), both in the room i want the wifi in, or right next to the repeater.

I'm on Gigabit internet, plugged into a Gigabit switch via a cat 6a cable, switch that is also wired via a cat 6a cable to the router.

Now my phone is not wifi 6, and i can see in the settings that i'm connected (via the 5Ghz band) to 802.11ac
According to Wifi analyzer, its set to 80mhz channel, (and 20mhz for the 2.4Ghz, which are the same settings as my router so i believe it grabbed theses settings as i was setting it up first before switching to access point)

But 802.11ac at 80mhz should be capable of way higher speeds. Am i having too high expectations or is something wrong?

Thank you !

Options
6 Reply
Re:RE505x "low" speeds as access point.
2022-01-05 11:43:07

@Eazon I've seen this on my repeater devices as well, they drastically reduce speed when using hotspot mode, and I honestly have no idea what could be causing this.Strange problem....I'll tag one of the admins here, hope he can help you. 

@Solla-topee 

Options
2022-01-05 13:20:03
Thank you !
Options
2022-01-06 05:40:18 - last edited 2022-01-06 05:45:56

Hello @Eazon 

Please check the WiFi link speed on your phone or check the Wifi spec of phone 

For model RE505X 5Ghz, if its 802.11ac, that maximum link speed is 866Mbps on 5G. Wi-Fi 6/ 11ax  maximum  link speed is 1200Mbps

5Ghz actual speed is limited by the speed from RE , and speed around40% -50% of WiFi link speed is common.

How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

If still the same issue, may I have  the speedest results from the switch that connects to RE, and speedtest of RE 5Ghz wifi , please also share the wifi link speed on your device (computer or mobile device) when they connected to RE?Thank you. 

Options
2022-01-06 09:15:07

Hello !

The WiFi link speed on my phone in the wifi settings says 325mbps down, 392mbps up, but in reality, using internet speedtests (like ookla or nperf) i only get 230-250mbps down, 350 mbps up.

That same phone connected to my ISP's router via WiFi gets 350mbps down / 400mbps up via the same speedtest. Both done while being 50cm away from the device (RE505x or isp router)

In both case it was 802.11ac
This is with both my router and the RE505x's WiFi in 5Ghz, 802.11ac on the 80mhz channel (i'm using a wifi analyzer app to make sure of it)

This screenshot bellow shows my computer wired directy to the switch, to which the RE505x is also wired.

and this screenshot is from my phone, connected to the RE505x, wired to my switch, set in access point mode, in 5ghz 802.11ac, 50cm away from it.

I have looked up the specs of my phone and couldnt find much but it has Wifi 5ghz 802.11ac (as it says in the settings) and its CPU, the mediatek dimensity 700, according to the internet, is capable of 1200mbps

What exactly do you mean by "40-50% of WiFi link speed is common" ? That said, the Link speed itself is rather low and i'm not getting (thankfully) half of it.

I sadly don't really have another device to test WiFi from but i can hardly find a reason why the phone should be limiting here, and that same phone gets faster speed connected to the (bad) isp router.

Thank you for your help

@Solla-topee

Options
2022-01-07 03:25:43 - last edited 2022-01-07 03:28:48

Hello @Eazon 

Thank you for more detailed information. 

It's pretty good that 5Ghz gets 60% of that Link speed. So far seems something wrong with RE and phone link speed, as RE505X supports  802.11ac 2* 433Mbps = 866Mbps maximum link speed when works at 2 MIMO &  80Mhz (256-QAM). 

May I know the model of your phone and its IOS or Android version?

Can you share the Wifi Link speed when it connected to ISP router and Link speed when connected to RE? What is the model of your ISP router? Thank you

Options
2022-01-07 10:58:24 - last edited 2022-01-07 10:59:14

I just went ahead and installed 2 Apps to get more detailed WiFi infos It seems like android settings was reporting some strange link speeds (maybe more like speedtests).

Theses 2 apps are now reporting 433mbps Link speed which is what you mentionned.

Is it possible that while i get 433mbps link speed both to the RE or my ISP router, the RE has a lower throughput and cannot deliver as much as the ISP's router?

Since you seem to say 50-60% of the Link speed would be a normal behavior.

I have to say, i'd have liked to know about this beforehand. I would probably still have bought it because i need the WiFi in that room and the performance is still decent, but just..not what i had in mind.

You're saying "2* 433Mbps" and "MiMo 2". Could it be then that my phone is the limiting factor and only does "1* 433Mbps" ?

What does that correspond to?

I still find strange that i get better numbers at the same link speed with the isp router though but again, maybe that is normal for the RE.

The phone is a Vivo Y72 5G running Android 11

The ISP router is a "SFR Box 8" which has this model number "GR140DG"

Appears to be this https://www.alticelabs.com/content/datasheets/FL_GR140DG_FiberGateway-Wi-Fi6_EN.pdf

Thank you

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 590

Replies: 6

Related Articles