Parental Controls/Profiles

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-05 18:05:36
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 Build 20210607 Rel. 56436

I'm assuming this isn't possible in the current release, but from my years of experience in IT, when you join a network you start with low levels of access, then access is built up.

My eldest son has found a loophole, whereby he can adjust his MAC address on his iPhone which is pretty easy to do, so just resets this to rejoin the network outside of his alloted profile, and have wifi access through the night. I don't want to confiscate his device but I don't seen any other way to stop his continued access out of alloted hours... Any ideas appreciated.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Parental Controls/Profiles
2022-01-06 12:13:03

@Lewy 

Hi, there is a workaround for your reference.

1. Set up connection alerts for new devices. How to configure the Connection Alerts feature on the Deco app?

2. After receiving the message, please go to Deco APP>More>Blacklist and add it to the blacklist, or go to device setting of the new client and block it here.

Options
Re:Parental Controls/Profiles
2022-01-06 12:21:57

@TP-Link Yes but that relies on a retrospective action being done.

On any good network devices joining networks are held and applied policies to use the network. So in this case it's what I currently have to do each time my son resets the MAC address on his device which them automatically rejoins the DECO network without the need of a password. This is a security flaw with the network and is easy to do with a laptop as well. Once a device has joined the network successfully, you can blacklist it, but you can rejoin by spoofing the MAC address without the need of entering the network password and joining. I have discussed it with your Tech Support and suggested it needs to be escalated.

Is there a way of whitelisting MAC addresses or do I need to add in a firewall to manage this basic level of network management?

Thank you.

Steve

TP-Link wrote

@Lewy 

Hi, there is a workaround for your reference.

1. Set up connection alerts for new devices. How to configure the Connection Alerts feature on the Deco app?

2. After receiving the message, please go to Deco APP>More>Blacklist and add it to the blacklist, or go to device setting of the new client and block it here.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 182

Replies: 2

Related Articles