Deco X60 guest network in AP mode without VLAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-07 20:57:54
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 Build 20210121 Rel. 54042

I bought three Deco X60's where the guest network is too restrictive in Router mode. I have a pretty good router so I thought I'll put the X60's in AP mode so I can still use the great antenna's, but use the network settings of my router. Unfortunately, the guest network VLAN tagging turns off in AP mode, so my router can't separate the Guest network clients from the Main network clients. Please fix this. VLAN tagging is a critical feature in a AP with multiple SSID's. Without this, I'm afraid I will have to return the units.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Deco X60 guest network in AP mode without VLAN
2022-01-10 10:09:10 - last edited 2022-01-11 07:43:56

@Ilans 

Hi, when Deco Is under Access Point mode, the guest network and main network are no longer separated by VLAN.

As for your feedback, I do have one more question, the reason that you want VLAN ID on the guest network, is that you also want to separate the guest network of Deco from the whole network(wired and wireless connection) of the main router?

Thank you very much.

Options
2022-01-10 18:15:10 - last edited 2022-01-10 18:15:46

@TP-Link Correct. If you offer a guest network in AP mode, it should be separated. With a separate VLAN id on the guest network I can ask my router to give the guest network a different IP subnet and a different DNS settings that limits access to certain websites. I can also decide which devices on the main network can still be contacted by the guest network. There are a lot more possibilities, but none of them are possible without a separate VLAN id for the guest network. Please just enable this. It has no down sides for people who don't need it, but it makes the DECO X60 a LOT more usable for people who know how to configure their networks. Please let me know what you decide, because I only have 2 more weeks to decide if I will keep the DECO X60 or if I should bring it back. Thank you.

Options
2022-01-11 07:52:38

@Ilans 

Hi, Thank you for the further details.

Currently, there has been no plan to add VLAN ID for the guest network in AP mode yet.

We might still need to collect more feedback and report to the senior engineers for further evaluation.

Options
2022-01-11 17:49:53 - last edited 2022-01-11 17:50:10

Please just search this forum for the VLAN AP guest and see that people have been asking for this on your forum for over two years. This really is a basic feature that I can't understand is missing. Also, you already have VLAN tagging in this device using router mode, so it shouldn't be a lot of work to implement it in the firmware for AP mode. And if you disable it by default, but give us an option to enable it, nobody will be harmed by this option. But these devices will be a lot more usefull for quite a lot of people if we can enable VLAN tagging in AP mode.

Options
2022-02-12 21:56:54

In fact this would be a great adition.

Options
2022-02-13 15:35:26
+1 for me too as I now have a firewall in front of my XC60 which is in AP mode. As per the previous post, if TP-Link wants to be considered as a security conscious network product company, VLAN in AP Mode should be the default.
Options
2022-02-13 15:45:31

@TP-Link Not sure how much more feedback you need to provide VLAN tagging in AP Mode. Your community forums are full of such requests. I guess when users stop purchasing or recommending your products, you will have the feedback you need, albeit too late.

Options
2022-03-09 09:49:04

@TP-Link as indicated in the other thread ("Guest wlan to VLAN in AP mode in Deco M9+"), I am also still in demand for VLAN tagging function in AP mode for my X60s. The reason is quite straightforward: I want to set up a more advanced VLAN-based separation on my network, rather than using the currently offered "isolation" function on the APs. The isolation mode doesn't cut it for me.

Options
2022-03-18 11:58:14
+1 for this feature request
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1359

Replies: 9