UNKNOWN has joined the network.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-10 06:05:05
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210126 Rel. 59387

I live on a busy street. When a person walks past my house and their mobile device is set to Ask to Join Networks = Notify, I will get an email from TP-LINK Cloud that "UNKNOWN has joined the Home’s network."

This email is very light on details, and doesn't tell me the IP or MAC address of the UNKNOWN device, but I have checked every MacOS, Windows, Android, and iOS device in the house and disabled any MAC randomization feature.

When I login the Deco iOS app, and scroll through the list of Offline Devices, there are pages and pages and pages of UNKNOWN devices. I would estimate over 250 UNKNOWN devices.

Testing

I am able to reproduce the behaviour using these steps:

1. A mobile device with iOS15+
  2. Settings > Wi-Fi > Ask to Join Networks set to Notify (Default configuration) or ASK
  3. Wi-Fi > Mac Address Randomisation set to ON (Default configuration)
  4. Forget any existing Wi-Fi networks
  5. Restart the device.
  6. Once the device restarts you will get a New Device Connected email or push notification. 

Questions

1. How can I remove all of these unknown devices? Going through one by one is very tedious. Is there a DELETE ALL option?
  2. Is there a maximum limit of unknown devices before there is a negative effect on the operation of the DECO unit?
  3. How can I stop UNKNOWN devices from appearing in the list of Offline devices.
  4. How can I turn off the email warning?

Device Configuration:

2 x M9Plus(2.0) - 1.5.1 Build 20210126 Rel. 59387

1 x M5(3.0) - 1.5.7 Build 20210819 Rel. 43499

2.4GHz OFF
GUEST NETWORK OFF
Monthly Report ON
SIP ALG DISABLED
UPNP ENABLED
Fast Roaming Enabled
Beam Forming Enabled
Operation Mode Wireless Router
New Device Alerts ON
Known Device Alerts OFF

Options
1 Reply
Re:UNKNOWN has joined the network.
2022-01-11 08:53:41

Questions

1. How can I remove all of these unknown devices? Going through one by one is very tedious. Is there a DELETE ALL option?

It has been reported to senior engineers for further evaluation and no ETA has been provided yet.

2.Is there a maximum limit of unknown devices before there is a negative effect on the operation of the DECO unit?

I might need to check with the senior engineers first and will come back if there is any update.

3.How can I stop UNKNOWN devices from appearing in the list of Offline devices.

Hi, I tested on my side:

When iPhone automatically popped up a bunch of available wireless networks, I chose "cancel "and pretended I did not know the password---no new device notification on the Deco APP;

if I chose "connect" and input the password, with private address enabled on the iPhone, my phone shows "unknown" on the online list.

Then I forget this network,disable the private address before joining in this network, it would show up as "iPhone" on the list.

So the "unknown: devices indeed are the known devices with private address enabled.

If possible, It is suggested to disable the private address before connecting to the network.

Thank you very much.

@Bill_G 

Options